iv. denial denial

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 ˗
i don't like that stuck-up prima donna.

𝟐𝟗𝐓𝐇 𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

   "SO? How did it go?"

Kathryn Poole had always been nosy - it was something Dominique had just come to terms with. It was also something she had to adjust to, sometimes sacrificing her usually private nature to indulge Kathryn. Sometimes simply ignoring her pestering would suffice, but on this occasion, it wouldn't work - much to Dominique's chagrin.

   "Dom! How did it go?" Kathryn repeated her question as the two sat in Charms. Professor Flitwick had given up pretty early on in their school years trying to get the two girls to stop talking in his lessons - it was futile. So, he merely glanced at Kathryn and sighed before going back to his reading, having assigned the class to read up on non-verbal spells, which they would be receiving a demonstration of halfway through lesson. "Dom."

   "You're unbearably persistent," Dominique sighed, placing down her quill and turning towards the girl. "What is it now? How did what go?"

   "Your study date with Remus," Kathryn elaborated, resting her chin on her fist. "Alice overheard you asking Remus to study, and she told Lily, who told me."

   "It was not a date," Dominique quickly denied. She moved to pick her quill back up, done with the conversation, but Kathryn stopped her by placing her hand over the quill. "And you should tell Alice to stop being a little gossip. Is that all she does in her spare time when she's not eating Longbottom's face?"

   "Oh please, everyone loves gossip. Anyone who says they don't is lying. I bet even you do, secretly," Kathryn leaned in closer, lowering her voice to a whisper. "So, how was it? He's cute, right? I think you two would suit each other."

   "Please, shut up, Kathryn." Dominique was already exhausted with the conversation. "Why don't you date him, then? If he's so cute."

   "Um, no?" Kathryn responded incredulously, frowning. "I see him as a brother more than anything else - but for you, he would be perfect. He'd be like... the golden retriever to your black cat. The sun to your moon. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

   "Just because I understand it, doesn't mean it makes any sense," Dominique responds, tapping the feather end of her quill against Kathryn's nose. The Ravenclaw girl wrinkled her nose before batting the quill away.

   "It makes perfect sense - you're just too emotionally repressed to think about stuff like dates and relationships."

   "Thanks, Kathy."

   "You're welcome, Dom," Kathy winked. It seemed Professor Flitwick had enough of Kathy's chatter, sending her a pointed look that had her mouthing an apology before resuming work. Dominique snorted out a laugh before dipping her quill in ink.

Dominique wasn't blind - she knew Remus Lupin was attractive. Nerdy, but attractive no doubt. While girls didn't throw themselves at him like they did for Sirius Black or James Potter, they did still fawn over Remus and his awkwardness. Dominique hadn't really seen the appeal until she had actually spoken to the guy.

But Dominique failed to see Kathryn's vision, of her in a relationship with Remus Lupin. She had barely spoken to the guy about things other than work, and he came from a batch of people she didn't like to interact with - Gryffindors. And despite Kathryn telling her on numerous occasions to not judge people based off their houses, she couldn't help but find Gryffindor's severely irritating, like a fly in a quiet room or a scratched CD.