Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“What.” Apparently, that’s the only word I can remember from my vocabulary. I turn to look at where Adam and Cole just disappeared and then back to Mrs. Pots. “He said that because him and Fiona needed money because of her hospital expenses and that there was nowhere else to go but to you, he asked for money to pay for Fiona’s hospital bills and I swear the boy was tearing up while blushing from talking. He also looks like he was going to shed a tear or two. He really wants the best treatment possible for his mother. Anyway, in return because he feels bad and he wants to do something for you, he said he was going to tutor you in place of his mother just until she gets better. Fiona has also mentioned you to him and how you need to really catch up on your studies. Trust me though, Adam is a very smart boy and he is capable of teaching just like his mother.” Mrs. Pots explains to me but all I could do is stare at her with a flabbergasted expression when she finishes. 

“What Cole did was unfair. What if I didn’t want to accept his offer?” I state giving both of them a haughty look. “But you won’t.” They both pointed out at the same time. “Why not?” I ask. “Well it’s for Fiona.” Their answer was short but it holds a lot of meaning.

It’s true. I’d do anything for Fiona because I see her as a motherly figure. Maybe it’s because of her maternal instincts or the way she smiles at me so lovingly that persuaded me that I don’t even need to see my own mother. How can I? She died giving birth to me. Anyway, I wouldn’t miss an opportunity to help Fiona whenever I can. She’s basically the only person I look at as family.

Knowing that they’re correct and I’m defeated, Mrs Pots and Luis offers me smiles before making their way out of the study, leaving me on my comfy chair.

The thought of having someone completely new teaching me makes my stomach churn. And the fact that this person is a boy makes it ten times worse. No, I do not like this boy. In fact, I concluded the second I saw him sitting on my precious chair that I don’t like him at all. I know I’ve said before that he was my only source of entertainment from the outside world through his mother but I rather enjoy his foolishness when he is not doing it in my presence or at least in my mansion.

But if I need to deal with Adam just to make sure Fiona gets the best of treatment then I am all ready to sit through a couple of hours of complete awkwardness with Adam.

“It’s dinner time, Ms.” Someone knocked on my door and that was when I realised that it was already 6:30 pm. “Yeah, I’ll be right at the dinner table in five minutes.” I call and after that I hear footsteps subsiding.

There is no point in sulking and grumbling about what is in the past so I stood up from my comfiest chair and continue my daily routine like nothing special just happened.

--

It was today.

Well it was yesterday when the strange ma-Adam…visited me so naturally it would be today when he visits me again for our tutoring session.

Currently, I’m waiting for his arrival in my living room where I would then lead him to the study room to start working and to finish as early as we could possibly can. No touching, no talking about personal stuff unless it involves his mother’s condition because I intend to briefly ask him about that. I’m also going to look sophisticated and professional and as if this is a meeting that I’m going to attend to. That’s the plan and it’s a mighty good plan I must say.

“He’s late.” I grumble, further sinking down on the sofa. If he comes any later than 3:00 I am going to have a fit. He shouldn’t be late like this! He should be punctual and professional knowing that someone is waiting for him. “Patience, Ms Annabelle.” I can almost hear the laughter inside Cole’s head. “I’ve been waiting for 15 minutes now. How long must he make me wait?!” 15 minutes may not be such a long time for other people but that’s because they have patience and I don’t.