Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“This? This is what you do in your free time?” Adam says in such a tone that it almost sounds like he’s mocking me. I look at him for a few seconds before flipping the page of my book. “What’s wrong with spending my free hours reading?” I ask not really taking an interest in his answer.

“Well I thought that because you have this whole mansion for you that you’d be doing something fun. Like I don’t know, playing hide and seek or like doing something outside in that big garden of yours.” He’s not even reading the book I generously lent him. He’s just waving it around. If only he knows that, that book he’s holding is worth a lot more than his life.

“Hide and seek? Are you some sort of a child?” I scoff, putting my book down on my lap. Adam raises an eyebrow, leaning forward a little. “Have you ever played hide and seek before? No one is too old to play hide and seek, Annabelle.” He states. “As a matter of fact, no I haven’t played hide and seek before.” His eyes go wide but I cut him off immediately. “How many times do I have to tell you that you cannot just call me Annabelle? You have to add Ms.” I scold him.

He falls back on his chair with a lazy grin. “Technically, we’re not doing our sessions today so that means I’m just purely hanging out with you as your dear friend and friends don’t call each other Ms. or Mr.” I look away and let my hair cover my face. He thinks we’re friends? Since when did we establish this? Okay fine. I guess its fine to just call me Annabelle…ONLY when we’re not in our sessions of course.

“Actually, Annabelle is such a long name to pronounce.” He sighs dramatically. “What’s wrong with pronouncing my full name?” I retort. “Can’t I just give you a nickname or something?” He blows a strand of hair that’s fallen from his hairstyle. His hair is gelled to go up and it slants slightly to the right. Anyway “You’re pushing it, Adam.” I warn him. “Isn’t it enough that I’m going to let you just call me Annabelle instead of Ms. Annabelle?” I huff.

“Everyone calls you Annabelle though. I want to be different.” He points out. He stands up and walks back and forth and around the chair I’m sitting in while looking at me intently.

“What about Anna?” He suggests after many seconds.

I shake my head to say that I disagree. “I don’t think that suits me quite well.” I give him my honest opinion. If he’s really going to do this nickname thing then I’d want to have a say in it if he’s going to be calling me that from now on.

“Well what about Belle?”

“Are you completely serious about that?”

“Yeah, it suits you!” He exclaims like a ten year old boy before plopping down on his chair. To be completely and utterly honest, no one has ever tried calling me that so he’s the first.

“Isn’t that the name of the character in the book ‘Beauty and the Beast’?” I ask, crossing my arms just under my chest. “I love that movie.” He declares before standing up again. Can he just pick a position and just stay like that?

“Wait, there’s a movie?” I tilt my head in confusion. I thought that there was only a book for that and not a movie. “Are you for real right now?!” He laughs at my lack of information and I glare at him until he stops to a smile. “Yes, there are a couple of movies about that but the most popular one would be the Disney one.” He tells me.

“So Belle-“He looks at me for approval and I just roll my eyes. “-You’re going to drop that book and come play hide and seek with me.”  He’s a child in a man’s body. I’m very sure of that. “I don’t want to. Play by yourself.” I mutter, opening my book again and reading from where I ended.