Chapter 15

"For I have found the one whom my soul loves." Song of Solomon 3:4

Chapter 15:

Woo Bin took a deep breath before glancing at Hye Jin. She was sitting near the door of the Starbucks across the street where she worked, lazily drumming her fingers on the table. They were in the rich neighborhood of Gangnam, where skyscrapers dotted the landscape, and the cost of living was almost twice that of Seoul. Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo were also somewhere in Gangnam, and Woo Bin had agreed to meet with them after his coffee date with Hye Jin.

"So... my mother wants to meet you." Woo Bin said, as he set two cups of coffee on the table.

Hye Jin started rubbing her hands on her pants. "Really? That's good, right? It is, right?"

Woo Bin took a sip of his coffee before answering. His eyes darted from side to side, unable to look her in the eye. "I think so. She's been asking about you for a while now."

He guessed it was because she was the longest relationship he'd had, which was funny because they'd only been together a few months. His mother really didn't care who he dated, because he dated A LOT. To her, it was normal for Woo Bin to date around. She never bothered to ask about his relationships because she knew by the time she asked he would probably be on to his next one.

So it wasn't a huge surprise to Woo Bin when his 6-month relationship with Hye Jin aroused his mother's curiosity and attention.

Woo Bin rarely saw his mother, because both of them never stayed home long enough to cross paths. But one Saturday morning, just as he was about to head out the door, he was surprised to find his mother waiting for him in their sitting room.

"And where is my son off to this early in the morning?"

She sat there, back straight as a pencil, head held high. She had her hands crossed on her lap, head tilted slightly to one side, and her piercing brown eyes bore deep into his.

Woo Bin swallowed hard, but shuffled his feet towards her. "I didn't know you were home."

"Now you do."

Her eyes followed him as he sat in front of her.

He scraped a hand through his hair and began rubbing the back of his neck. "Have you been well?"

"Yes. You?"

"I've been well." He answered. It was all formality, he knew. His mother didn't need to ask how he'd been because she always knew. She had eyes and ears everywhere.

"I would like to meet this girl you're seeing. Will you arrange a meeting for us soon?" She watched him closely for his reaction.

His mother always got straight to the point. No idle chit chat required.

Woo Bin knew this was coming; just as he knew that her question wasn't a request, but an order. He just hoped by "soon" she meant in the next year or so.

Probably not.

"Of course. She would love to meet you." He hoped she didn't notice the beads of sweat that had started to form on his forehead.

"Wonderful." She stood up, dusted her skirt, and donned a huge, black sunhat that covered half her face.

"Mother..." Woo Bin called, as she turned around to leave.

She faced him. "Yes, my son?"

"I really like this one."

Please don't scare her off. He wanted to say but the words got lodged in his throat.