Chapter 20

"And there, right in the middle of my chaos – there was you." - Unknown

Chapter 20

Ji Hoo woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs sizzling in the kitchen. He was still in his pajamas when he found Jan Di bent over the stove happily humming to herself.

"It smells amazing." The aroma of breakfast made his mouth water.

She paused long enough to walk over to him and give him a quick peck on the cheek.

"Did you sleep well?" she asked, holding the spatula.

"I did. You?"

"Like a baby," she said, as she flipped an egg over.

Sure, you did.

Ji Hoo shook his head, though her back was turned so she didn't see it. He knew Jan Di had been in and out of his room checking up on him all night. He pretended to be fast asleep every time she came in so she wouldn't feel bad about waking him. But he felt her every time she touched his forehead, or checked his pulse, or even when she simply sat on the chair in his room and stared at him as he slept. He was aware of it every time.

"So, what's the plan today?" he asked as she set the plates of food on the table.

"Whatever you want," she said.

They both sat down and started eating breakfast, and Ji Hoo couldn't help but think this would be their every day soon.

"What are you smiling about?" she asked, her head cocked to the side.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out," he winked.

"Oh, is it now?" she teased back. "Is this how you're going to be when we're a married couple?"

"Of course not," he answered, but his tone was playful. He leaned closer and whispered, "I'll be much, much worse."

She rolled her eyes, but he saw a spot of pink appear on her cheeks.

An idea popped into his head.

"Hey, remember that Buddhist temple we went to many years ago? The one where we wrote wishes on tablets?"

She arched an eyebrow at him. "You want to go there?"

"Yes."

He thought she would ask why, but she just shrugged and said, "Okay".

The ride to the temple took them almost two hours. Mr. Gil drove them there. Halfway through the drive, Ji Hoo felt Jan Di's head plop onto his shoulder. He put an arm around her and held her the rest of the way.

"Are we here to make a wish?" She asked, as she pushed him around the temple. Not much had changed since they were last there.

"No." He gave her a sly grin. "The last time we were here, you wished for my happiness and I wished for you to get into medical school. Both came true. I'm here to say thanks."

"So, you have nothing more to wish for?" She eyed him curiously.

"Well, all my wishes point to you." The words came out of his lips so naturally, as if he was merely telling her his name. He looked up at her. "What about you? Anything you want to wish for?"

"Oh sure, ask me that now," Jan Di muttered. Anything she said now would be lame compared to what he just revealed.

The sun beat down on them, its heat scorching and angry. She could see droplets of sweat forming around Ji Hoo's forehead.