"H-he's coming to visit next week, and I don't th-think I can handle it." I saw the anger rise in his face as I spoke.

"Is he... is he staying here?" he asked through gritted teeth. I nodded. "You're not staying here then, I'll sneak you into my house, or we can crash at Brayden's for the week you just cannot stay in the same house with that piece of shit," he spat. I jumped as he raised his voice and moved further away from him. "I'm sorry, I just don't want you to have to deal with that. I also don't want him to hurt you, I would never forgive myself if that happened."

"It's n-not your job to p-protect me."

"Since when is protecting my boyfriend not my job?" He asked, causing me to blush.

"B-boyfriend?" I asked, brows furrowed.

"Only if you want to be."

"Of course I do." I wanted to hug him, or kiss him, that's what boyfriends did right? That was probably what he was expecting, what he wanted. But I looked into his eyes and he was more than happy just sitting there with me. There was no expectant look in his eyes, he made no movement closer to me. He just sat and smiled, and I beamed right back at him.

"You know, my dad used to hit my mom, before she died. She never told me, never told anyone, but I saw. It's what killed her, Gray." He didn't have to say anything after that. I knew what he meant. That these secrets, secrets of abuse, could kill a person. I knew that he was right. If Adam never killed me, I would be the death of myself. But I couldn't do anything about it. So much time had passed that there wouldn't be any proof, and he'd spin the lie that I was just a kid and was confused and making things up. Mom and Dad would probably believe him because what reason would they have not to? I just had to deal with him for a week. I could do that. I was older now; things would probably be different.

I managed to get through the rest of the week at school without Trent. Brayden escorted me around the building, warding off Kyle and his gang of loyal followers. I tried my best to just focus on my classes and schoolwork, rather than think about Adam coming on Sunday. Brayden and Nat were officially dating, or at least I think they were? They held hands in the halls, kissed almost the entire lunch period, and were constantly texting when they weren't together. I was happy for them, Brayden was a good guy and Nat seemed really happy. Trent still drove me to school and took me home the rest of the week. Though we had been dating for a few days we still hadn't really done more than hold hands. Trent acted like he didn't mind, but I knew deep down he did. I felt bad, and I tried to tell him he should find someone normal. He just responded that he didn't want someone normal.

Sunday came sooner than I would have liked, and I knew that by the time I woke up Sunday morning my parents would be gone to get Adam from the airport. Without giving away too many details, Trent made an arrangement with Brayden that I could go to his house any time this week if I needed to. His address was saved in my phone and he had given me a spare key to his apartment for the week. I found out that Brayden lived by himself. He was in the foster care system since he was a baby, and at 16 he got emancipated, and child protective services got him hooked up with a job and an affordable apartment. I wondered why Trent never went to live with him, but I decided not to ask.

I woke up Sunday morning to a text from Trent; "Good morning gorgeous, it's only like 8 a.m. but I'm parked outside of your house, I needed to get out of mine and I wanted to make sure I was here for you, I hope you're having sweet dreams." I smiled at the kissy face emoji at the end of the message. I peeked out my window and sure enough I could see Trent's large Ford F-150 parked outside. I smiled to myself as I got my things together to shower. I had about two hours until my parents got home with Adam. I had asked Trent to be there, if he could behave, and he promised me he would. I was glad he was here so early; I would have time for him to talk me down from my panic attacks.