The truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth

"Clary?" Jocelyn calls out from the bottom of the stairs' "We need to chat"
"Not right now mum, I'm busy", Clary calls back.
"I don't think you will be too busy for this", Jocelyn responds before stalking of into the living room and finding a seat, knowing her daughter will soon join her. Clary appears moments later with an unimpressed look on her face and her phone in her hand, "What is it or can I go back to texting Simon?".
"It's something i have been waiting to tell you all your life and now seems the right moment", Jocelyn says,
"Okay you might have convinced me to pay attention but give me a second to say goodbye to Simon." Clary says before going back to her phone, tapping for a few seconds then throwing the phone on the side table and sitting in a chair opposite her mother.

Jocelyn couldn't think of a better way to say this other that the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. "Clary, I am about to change your whole interpretation of life as you know it and I need you to promise me you will sit and listen to what I have to say" Jocelyn starts,
"Okay mum, but I hope this isn't the sex talk, we went over this, I'm not that stupid!" Clary retorts,
"Don't worry it isn't its something a lot worse, A lie I have lived by, a life I have kept you from." Jocelyn replies with a hint of worry in her tone,
"Is my father not dead? I can't believe you would keep that from me!" Clary almost screams at her mother,
"No no that's not it, just shut up and listen this is going to be a long chat. I promise you everything I am about to say is the truth, I'm not crazy or delusional, I just thought you would want to know."...

An hour later Jocelyn finally stops talking and drops an old and heavy looking book on the coffee table and looks at Clary with worried eyes.
"Do you have any questions?" Jocelyn says,
"I'm literally speechless" Clary mutters,
"Well this is the shadowhunter's codex it should clear up most things that I have missed, but my door is forever open to questions".

Clary's POV

I don't know what to say, I'm a shadow hunter, this can't be happening. Mum says that in a couple weeks time I start at Raziel high, a highschool for shadowhunters situated in New York, named after the angel who started this all. I am gobsmacked that she is only telling me this now. She has given me the codex thing, it's my only hope right now of not embarrassing myself in front of this whole new community. Wait how is Simon going to react to all of this? How am I going to tell him? Can I tell him? What am I supposed to do?

I can't waste any time worrying I have to become an expert on werewolves, vampires, runes and swords before school starts so I can at least blend in with the crowd. They don't even call swords, swords! They're "seraph blades" like what the hell, how am I suppose to remember this shit?

I heave open the cover of this old book and delve into the first chapter, the story of Raziel, which I have mostly heard from mum but it can't hurt to revise. I soon realise I have been reading for a couple hours, it is easy to get lost in this fantasy esque world; this is my world now. Still really I have no proof that this shit is real apart from my mothers word and that scrappy old book. It all feels like fantasy, like a manga comic. I hope it's not to obvious I'm new to this stuff. I fight back the urge to eat and sleep and continue on with reading the codex like my life depends on it, it kind of does.

I hope you like my first chapter :) I am hoping to update pretty frequently but I'm off school at the moment so when I go back I will probably update less frequently. I am not totally sure where everything is going right now, I'm hoping to work that out tonight. Feel free at any time to leave a comment or a suggestion of where you want the story to go, or not go. By the angel I can't believe I'm actually writing my first fanfiction😮 let's hope it goes well!

Kind regards

MagiEMM