"I'm guessing you have a rocky relationship with your mother?" I wasn't sure whether he was asking or accusing. Whatever it was, he slid back down on the bed, facing me.

"Something like that. It's a long story." He opened his mouth to respond, but I hadn't given him a chance when I sprung up again. He stared at me wide-eyed with an eyebrow raised.

"This is probably a weird question. But I'm curious. Does Julia have something against me?" I couldn't give less than two fucks what Julia cared about me. But this was the only shot I had at figuring out just what kind of relationship her and Thomas were in. It was better to ask while I had his attention.

"Pay her no mind." Andrew shrugged. A bored expression sunk onto his face. "She's like that with everyone."

"Really?"

"Mhm." He nodded. "We only tolerate her because Thomas likes keeping her around."

"But their relationship. . ."

He cut me off. "It's pretty bad, I know. We've talked with him about it before. It's not like I enjoy seeing one of my best friends in this situation. Trust me, he's no saint. But he is a twenty-three-year-old idiot with a heart. That's why I can't figure out why he likes having it broken.

"It's like they're stuck in some never-ending loop. Just when you think he's done with her, here she is again. She treats him like complete shit. And he's convinced himself he always to blame when things go wrong in their relationship."

"Oh," I whispered, frowning.

Sometimes I forgot most of them were all around the same age, with Andrew, Thomas, and Jason being the oldest of the bunch. They'd mentioned it at the bonfire during one of our conversations.

"It only got worse after"—Andrew caught himself and let out a heavy sigh—"well when he lost someone close to him last year. He went off the deep end with the blame."

Andrew was going to mention Delilah just now. I could feel it in my gut. 

"Odd. They seemed done with each other yesterday." I shivered as I recalled Julia and that blonde-haired guy. Those two were so fond of each other. She wouldn't have moved on from Thomas that fast, would she? I'd have thought otherwise judging by how possessive she was of him. Then again, this wasn't the average relationship that could be held to normal standards.

"Don't pay any mind to any of that bullshit either. It's no secret those two screw around when they're pissed at each other. Julia has guys lined up to show Thomas just how disposable he is. It's all childish really." Andrew lowered his voice and shook his head. 

Thomas was one of Andrew's best friends. He said it himself. I wondered if that meant he knew about Thomas and Delilah. Sure, he had to know they were best friends too, but did he know about the things they did alone? That was the million-dollar question. One of many.

"Ok—" I began but another voice cut in.

"Andrew!" There was banging down the hall outside his apartment door. "I know you're in there! Dad already ratted you out." My wide eyes met his. That sounded like his sister. I glanced down at myself, only a sheet covering my naked body. Shit. I needed to put some clothes on.

"What the hell?" Andrew muttered, rushing his fingers through the tangles of his curls. He must've saw me scrambling out of his bed because he bent down and threw his shirt to me. "You can put that on for now and stay in here. Don't worry, I won't let her back here. I'll go handle her real quick."

I watched him slip on his sweatpants before he was outside the room by the time I blinked. As I stood and pulled his shirt over my head, I could hear shuffling down the hall, until there was nothing but partially muffled voices.