𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. a blood curse

×

       WHEN NYX'S MOMENT OF HYSTERIA CALMED DOWN, SEVERUS SAT HER DOWN. She sniffled while wrapping a blanket around herself, and wiping away the tears from her eyes as her godfather sat next to her. There was a stillness in the air as Nyx sat cross-legged on her bed, unable to say anything or explain what she had happened. Although for some reason, Severus didn't seem curious to know ... almost as if he already knew what was going on. 

"I haven't told you everything about your mother," Severus began. "I lied to you before when I said that I didn't know the reason why the Dark Lord wanted to keep your existence and his relationship with your mother a secret." 

Nyx looked at him confused. 

"W-What do you mean? she asked. "Why would you lie to me about something like that?"

Severus frowned firmly, "You didn't exhibit any of the signs ... I thought you didn't have it, that perhaps it had skipped a generation." 

It? What was it? Nyx questioned.  Now she was even more curious; she wanted to know exactly why she was valuable to Voldemort so much so that he'd pretended to be in love with her mother. What could it be? She wondered. Though part of her was also a bit frightened to know what the answer may be ... after all if it was something Voldemort was after, then it couldn't have been something good, right? 

"Your grandmother, Vanya, came from an unknown ancient wizarding family who possessed an abnormal skill. Curiously enough this skill only delivered in the women of the family, though it was still rare given the fact that your blood is more commonly filled with men." Severus began to explain. 

Nyx observed him profoundly. His dark eyes seemingly reading her every thought. Severus remained calm in contrast to her apprehensive nature. He spoke as if he were reciting something from a textbook, there was no emotional attachment behind it — only fact. 

"Protection charms weren't just your mother's specialty, in fact, it was a skill all women in her family had — an innate trait from birth. Your mother called it a 'mutation'. When awoken the young essentially becomes pervious to physical and most magical attacks—" 

"A power defensive is just as effective as a powerful offence," muttered Nyx. Severus stared at her thoughtfully. "Professor Lupin ... he said that's what my mother used to say when she taught Defence Against the Dark Arts in his school days." 

"Hm," Severus hummed, clearly not thrilled at the mention of Lupin. "The best way I would describe it is as an even more powerful form of the shield charm, one that turns out without any incantation. Andrea (your mother) said that it usually awoke through a surge of intense emotions, for her, it was when her father died, and for you ..."