epilogue

Epilogue

Falling through the seemingly never ending darkness that is surrounding him. The last thing he remembers before falling is taking on the zombies, killing them, and then falling to the ground, rolling, rolling, rolling, before hitting something hard. He can see a small, white light in the distance as he is floating toward a better world than this. He knows he is dead, knows that he will never breath in this world again, but he is glad, happy he is out of a world that has completely gone to hell. All of his friends and family are dead, so he is alone in this life. He is floating through the darkness, hoping beyond all forms of hope, that he will see his family and friends again; as much as he hates his family since they had died all those months (years) ago he still misses them immensely, having hope that soon, very soon, he will be reunited with them in a better world he is floating into. He sees the light and his hands are raising, climbing toward it, hoping that it is something he could see and when he came into the bright light he is suddenly gone, gone gone, from this world, his body starting to decompose into the earth, hoping to create new life; new trees, new plants that are a sign of life into a hellish world of death and destruction, and as he floats into the light he sees familiar faces of his family and friends and a larger figure, presumably God, sitting on a white throne. And then as he stops moving, seeing his parents, his friends, his family, all gathered around this supreme being, he then begins to—

...wake up. He was lying on the ground, still in the woods, still covered in blood, unable to move, to speak, to do anything. All of the zombies he had been previously fighting were gone, and he saw a jeep driving toward him, a man dressed in military fatigues driving the jeep. The jeep suddenly stopped and the man stepped out. He was a tall, lanky man, with wire rim glasses and black hair that was all over his head. He carried a machine gun in both his hand. He pressed the black barrel of it against Joe. “My God,” the man muttered. He saw Joe smeared in blood. He spotted the sword that lie in the dirt a few feet away from Joe. The man picked it up, and picked Joe up and dragged him into the jeep. Joe slept all through this.

Joe awoke in a bed, strapped to an IV. He had a cast along his arm, as well as bunches of bandages along his face, his arms, his legs and every part of him that had been scratched. Fabric was wrapped around his cut wrist, soaked with rust colored blood.

The man walked into the room. “My name is Hank,” he said. Joe looked at him, small fear building within him, unsure of what this man was going to do.

“It's alright,” Hank said, sensing the fear on Joe, “Nobody here is gonna hurt you.” Hank stepped forward and raised his hand. Joe decided to shake his hand.

“M—M—My n—n—ame is Joe,” he stuttered.

“Hi Joe. I found you in the woods. You were beat up and bloody so I took you in. You've been sleeping about a week,” Hank explained.

“Really?” Joe asked.

Hank nodded. “It is my God given right to help people in need. You looked really bad. Covered completely in blood. I also stopped a bloody sword of yours.” Hank held out the sword. Now it was shining and silver, every inch of rust colored blood washed off. “What had you been doing?”

“Long story,” said Joe, “but I had crashed in a plane. My friend was killed. A man named George tried killing me, but I sliced his head off. And I was being attacked by zombies.”

“So you're a real hero huh?”

“I wouldn't say that,” answered Joe.

“Well I would,” said Hank, “you will be treated with the utmost respect here. Someone who singlehandedly took on an army of zombies.” Hank smiled. “Do you think you are ready to come out yet?”

“I think I'll rest here for a few.”

“OK,” answered Hank, “I'll bring you some food.”

“Alright.” Joe smiled for the first time in what seemed like months. A few minutes later a pretty young woman by the name of Chris, entered the room with a plate of eggs.

“My name is Chris,” she said, “and you must be Joe.”

“Yea I am,” he nodded. He looked at the plate given to him and said “thanks” right before Chris departed from the room. He put a small bite into his mouth.

And nearly vomited.

His stomach wasn't ready to consume really heavy food yet. He set the fork down and looked around at his surroundings. He was quite surprised someone had found him; he had thought he was dead. He thought back to the dream he had about seeing the light, seeing his friends, his family, enveloped in the embrace of God, and thought that might've actually been possible. He thought back to everything he had been through; the death of his parents, surviving on his own, Timothy, fighting the zombies, the death of Tom and Linda and everything else that had transpired. He thought back to the times when he was attempting to kill himself, when he just wanted to die, to get the hell out of life, but now he knew that he was meant to be on this earth no matter what had happened. Sure, he would still live in an unsafe society of evil people and zombies, but he would be living in this place, a place of refuge, where he would be treated with respect along with hundreds, maybe thousands of other people to keep company with. He knew that now he would live; now he would be the biggest hero ever know in those times for killing a whole army of zombies all by himself, as well as fighting a large madman. He had grown so much since his parents had died; and now, when he was better, he would be glad to tackle the world, no matter how dangerous it was. He wasn't afraid anymore; he was strong and that was the best thing in a world like this. To remain strong. To not be afraid. And so as he lie there in the bed wondering, he took out his fork, and placed a couple of more bits of egg into his mouth, savoring the test, reluctant to swallow, but he finally did. The eggs settled at the bottom of his stomach.

He just sat there in the bed and knew that every would be OK. He would be safe, as would everyone else. And then he fell to sleep, dreams meeting him, some of them bad, some good, but all knowing that he was safe and sound in a bed.