chapter 13

13

In the morning, Tom and Linda awoke to see a strange man—Brian—sitting at the table quiet, peacefully. His face somewhat brightened when he saw Tom and Linda appear. “You must be the people Joe was talking about last night,” Brian said brightly.

“Uhm—who are you?” asked Tom, nervously.

“I am Brian,” he replied.

“How do you know Joe?” asked Linda.

“I was sitting on there last night. He must've heard me when he woke up so he came out to see who it was,” said Brian.

“I see you've met Brian.” Joe's voice startled Tom and Linda. He entered the room, rifle and bag slung over his shoulder, dressed in the same ratty clothes as he had worn for the past few days.

“Yea we have,” said Tom. He looked exasperated.

“He's coming with us,” commented Joe. Everyone sat in silence.

“Really?” asked Linda.

“Yes. I feel he should be good on our journey. He needed someplace to be anyway. He was sitting out here for a few days or months.”

“You're just gonna trust him?” Tom demanded.

“Yea I am. He's seems pretty trustworthy. I mean he is fragile. Which isn't really an insult to him cause he knows it. But anyway, we need more people we can get.”

“True.” Tom stopped arguing for a brief moment and the whole room fell into silence.

“When are we gonna leave?” asked Brian.

“Whenever it is time to go. We are still searching for the CDC.”

“The CDC? You wanna go there?”

“Yea,” Tom snuffed, “why?

“Because. What if there is nothing there? I mean, there hasn't been survivors, as far as I can tell, for miles and miles and miles. What if you get there, only to be sorely disappointed when you find the place in ruins?”

“It's worth the risk,” said Joe. “We need to cling on to some hope. Now I really think we should be getting going.” They got their stuff ready, and continued their journey toward the CDC, unaware of the shadow that was following them, getting closer and closer.

A man dressed in a black cloak made his way through the woods silently, following the four people as they left the farmhouse. He had a broad sword swinging from his waist and a rifle swung across his back. He had been following them for some time now, since they reached the farmhouse, because he had known that Brian was at the house. The man had been following Brian for the longest time. He needed something from Brian. A code. He continued to walk, following his targets. Once he found them he would make them squeal, and then kill them in cold blood, leaving them for the Forgotten, or what he called the zombies. He slowly drew the sword and continued to walk. He was right on their ass and he would get them.