chapter 28

28

Joe heard a sudden moaning coming from the room next to his cell. He quickly got up and sprinted toward the bars, seeing a terrified guard leading three zombies to George. They zombies had chains strapped to their necks. Joe looked at the zombies, wondering where they were going and what fate awaited them. The guard had a machine gun slung over his shoulder and that weapon was presumably loaded, just in case the zombies did end up escaping, he would have his gun at the ready and he would shoot to kill. Joe sat down, watching this spectacle. He never would've dreamed like like this would ever happen; he hadn't thought, while he was on the ground, that there were still people besides him left in the world—he just thought the world had been taken over by zombies. But there were people, albeit bad people, trying to control this world, people who would stop at nothing for global gain despite the world having been ended by a maniacal madman who wanted to eliminate more than half of the U.S Population to have a fit number of people to control. Joe watched as the guard placed his finger on a sensor pad, the pad detecting his finger and showing it was him. A door slid open and the man entered with the zombie. The door closed again with a small, whimpering banging sound.

Joe heard noise coming from where Tom was laying and he whirled around, seeing Tom slowly, but surely, coming around, trying to stand up without falling, and even more so, trying to form a sentence. Tom pressed his hand against the wall, steadying himself. His eyes were bloodshot. His hair was messed up. But he was alive. Out of his coma.

“W—Where am I?” he stuttered.

“A cell,” said Joe.

“What about the zombies?” asked Tom.

“They are here. They were captured by George—you remember him don't you? The religious madman who put in this mess.”

“I just remember fight somewhere outside and then a thick curtain of darkness overcoming me as I seemingly fell through time and space.”

“Same here,” said Joe. He looked concerned. “We have to try to get out of here. I think George is planning something even bigger—something that could potentially destroy every major city in this torn apart country.”

“Oh really?” asked Tom.

“Yes,” answered Joe.

“What could be bigger than already destroying the world?”

“Controlling it.”

“What?”

“George is planning on controlling the world. He said his God told him to do it. He is going to be a ruler in this country—create new beings—new zombies—as well as create a new kind of government...A dictatorship so to speak,” explained Joe.

“We need to stop him,” said Tom. The sound of footsteps approaching the cell. A guard stood their, armed with a machine gun.

“Stop talking in their,” demanded the guard. “George would like to see both of you.”

“Alright,” nodded Joe. The guard put a key into the lock and twisted it. The lock clicked, the cell door opened, and Joe was on the guard before he had a chance to raise his machine gun. Joe slammed the man's arm against the wall, grabbed him by the neck, and wrung his head around, snapping his neck all before he had a chance to scream. Tom grabbed the gun—a silenced Submachine gun. He checked the dead guard for a pistol, found one—a silenced .45 and tossed it at Tom. Tom grabbed it and they head out. Two guards were standing in front of a cell that was right beside theirs. Joe got them into his sights and pulled the trigger, downing the two guards before they even knew what hit them.

A guard was walking forward. Tom pinned to the wall and once the guard approached the door, he whipped around, slamming his fist into the man's throat, breaking his windpipe. The man fell, the breath knocked out of him. Joe then smashed his foot upon the man's head, crushing the skull. Brains oozed from the back of his head. They continued on their way, sneaking up a flight of spiral, metal stairs. Three guards were sitting in chairs, watching a variety of different computer monitors that were spying different parts of the lab. Joe emptied a round into all three guys. Blood splattered the wall. He raced into the room, grabbing all the clips he could, and he shut off the hidden cameras manually, through switches that were beside the monitors. Another guard was talking on a two-way radio, armed with a rifle. He was coming up the stairs when he stopped and saw the dead guards. He also saw Tom and Joe standing their, weapons drawn, and before the guard could radio in, or even draw his weapon. Joe was on him, slamming his head against the wall before taking out a blade he had hidden in his waistband and inserting in into the man's throat, blood pouring onto the floor.