chapter 6

6

Joe stepped over the shell of a car, helping Linda and Tom over as well. They had been walking for several hours, having not found anything. It was mostly forest, except for the abandoned rows that were lined with a car graveyard. Tom was still in pain, though it wasn't as bad as before. He still dragged his leg along, limping if he had to walk long distances, which he did, they all did. Joe looked around, monitoring the area, hoping he wouldn't see any zombies, which, in fact, he didn't. He had to make sure everything was clear, because now, you never knew when you would be dead.

“Where do you suppose we are?” asked Linda.

Joe answered, “I think we are in lower Michigan. I have been in Michigan before. None of this looks familiar, of course, but I do remember some things that haven't changed. I loved Michigan when I went there. So I think we are there. Around Ann Arbor, nearing Illinois.”

“I've been there,” said Tom, “a pretty fun state if you ask me. Chicago was my favorite part. Six flags was one of the best amusement parks I have been too.”

Lindas face brightened. “I went there,” she said, “it was pretty fun. I went on a school field trip at the end of eighth grade. It was sunny and hot and perfect.” Linda was smiling at this pleasant memory of her childhood.

“I love these memories,” said Joe, “but it makes me sad because we can never have these luxuries again. Sure we could if the CDC has survivors, but still, none of our lives will ever be the same again.”

“The world has pretty much gone. As far as we know we are the only survivors out here, the last of the people who either got killed by military, or got attacked by zombies,” Tom inquired. For few moments they walked through this graveyard of cars in silence. Joe was leading them, walking through this gateway to death, on their way to Georgia, which was thousands of miles from where they presently were.

“When are we gonna stop for awhile?” asked Tom. “My leg is on fire.”

“We aren't gonna stop for a good while. We need to make up for lost time and get as far from here as possible. I don't wanna have to fight more zombies,” replied Joe. He unslung his rifle and placed more bullets into it.

“What is that for?” asked Linda.

“Oh I am just reloading my rifle. In case something bad happens I don't have to do it while we are being attacked.” Joe put the rifle back over his shoulder and they continued walking into the sun as it sunk below the horizon in a red haze.

An hour later they had stopped at a store to take some medical supplies and food that hadn't yet gone bad, when something happened. It was something that happened so quick and efficiently. Linda was looking for some medicine on a couple of shelves. Then an arm reached out and grabbed her. She screamed. They all did. Joe pushed aside the shelf he was at and raced toward where Linda was screaming, a rotting, burned and disfigured arm grasping her by the wrist. Joe aimed the rifle carefully, hoping not to hit Linda, and pulled the trigger, the bullet slamming into the arm, blood splashing from it. The creature roared and when it whipped around to try to attack Joe, Linda kicked out her feet, swiped it across, sending the zombie falling, and then she grabbed her knife and stabbed down, taking the creature in the throat, crushing its windpipe. She stepped on its arm. The crack was sickening.

“Are you OK?” asked Joe.

Linda nodded. “Yes, but that was frightening. It just grabbed me through the damn shelves.” She was breathing heavily. She rubbed her arm. It was bruised, but otherwise OK. They moved through the store, looking for more hidden threats, but they found none, so Joe grabbed a bag and grabbed a few cans of food and some medicine that would soon help Tom. This medicine was some of the only stuff they could find. After stealing some the the stuff from the store, Joe, Linda and Tom left the store and they continued on their way.