On Second Thought

Start from the beginning

By the time the loading was completed—and the display case filled with Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge cupcakes and White Chocolate Raspberry cupcakes, there was a soft glow over the top of the houses—

As the dawn washed away the tips of night’s cloak, chasing darkness.

Just as the night began to make way for light—the veil of shadows began to reveal two people waiting outside the bakery.

.

Customers?

Waiting for the bakery to open?

Th-That’s flattering, we never had people wait outside before…except—

He must have felt eyes on him, for he turned—and our gazes met.

There was a look of surprise, before Xander smiled.

A charm?

It must be.

For where did he learn how to smile like that?

A smile that could capture the hearts of many, and yet—

It wasn’t him.

It wasn’t his smile.

And I knew—

“Oi, what are you starin’ at? Change the sign, we’re open,” Bill snapped, pointing to the sign outside, which were just a few steps away from him.

“O-Okay,” I nodded quickly, shuffling towards the door and flipping the wooden slate—before beckoning the siblings to come inside.

I turned to busy myself with filling a basket of baguettes, just to hear the jingling of bells and to feel the momentary breeze of frost.

“Chocolate Chip?”

“Good morning Giselle,” I couldn’t help but give the teenaged girl a little attention—ruffling her hair slightly.

I thought Giselle would shun from my touch—but it appears that she still remembers it.  

“Did you see? Did you see the painting? Love?” She asked expectantly, though her face was tilted higher than necessary.

Perhaps it was because I used to be much taller than her last time.

“Yes, yes I saw it Giselle. It was beautiful…it was the first one that you did—wasn’t it?”

Giselle beamed, “Yes yes yes!! Thank you!! For cupcakes too.”

Xander was silent, smiling gently—giving Giselle her time.

“I painted you too!”

“Really?” I whispered happily, trying to contain my happiness in front of Bill—or he would chase them out.

Giselle paused, as if wondering why I had lowered my voice. Then—she, too—whispered, “Yes!”

She felt for her backpack, taking her time with the zips (which she couldn’t manage before), and then reaching in to pull out a sketch book.

Flipping over the cover, her hands skimmed the surface for a moment, before grinning and turning the paper to face me.

“This is you,” She stated happily.