On Second Thought

A/N: If you felt awkward, uneasy, weird, strange, or afraid while reading the previous chapter, I have succeeded in making you feel what my characters feel. If you didn’t—well, I’m just lousy. Well, I admit I am. :3 huhu Enjoy.

Things that come in pairs—

Eyes,

Ears,

Hands,

Feet.

One brain,

One heart—

No.

Two hearts.

The other heart that beats—

Just for its other half.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[Chip]

“A-Alright everyone,” I began, surveying the bakers, “today’s special menu will feature our Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge and White Chocolate Raspberry cupcakes. Since it’s Monday, sugar and chocolate doughnuts will both be on sale. Also, please remember to promote our new pumpkin and raisin loaf—um…that’s all! Happy baking,” I dismissed the morning briefing with a usual beam and bow.

“Happy baking!” My bakers chirped back, and I felt the same wave of pride and joy once again, only—it didn’t last long.

“Cut the crap already—get to work you good-for-nothings…” Bill poked his head into the kitchen and barked at everyone.

We scurried to our places immediately and began heating up the ovens, for fear that Bill might not be in a good mood for the day.

“Y-Yes Bill,” I answered meekly, giving him a quick bow so that he’d grunt and leave the kitchen.

.

As soon as he waddled out, I felt the tension ease and a soft sigh escaped my lips.

“Chip,” A hand rested on my shoulder and I turned around to meet the gaze of my second oldest sister, Coco. “Here are the ingredients you asked for—“ A cardboard box was lunged into my arms and I found myself wondering how Coco managed to carry this all the way here.

“Ah! Thank you so much, will Hansel drop by to do the delivery later?”

Coco nodded, giving me an encouraging pat on the back, “Yeah, I reminded him. He even insisted on using the car today.”

I almost giggled, but a small smile slipped instead.

My sister’s expression softened. “I’ll be off then. The manager of the supplying company wants to discuss a bargain.”

“Alright—thank you for your hard work Coco!” I called across the kitchen as she passed the doorway. She waved a hand in greeting, and was off.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As I was loading the shelves with loaves of bread and pastries, I glanced outside to see that it was still dark.