Ch 8 Friction Amongst the Team

Y/N was looking over some papers. Not that class started yet but he still had issues to deal with that came with the rather sudden stop of his retirement. Hearing the door being knock  on he opens it only to see Ruby crying. Out of instinct he hugs her.

Y/N: Do I need to beat someone up?

Ruby: N-No.

Y/N: Good because I can't if they're a student but I can make their life a living hell.

Ruby: I-It's n-not that.

Closing the door behind him you motion for Ruby to go on the bed. She laid her head on your shoulder as you conformed her. After a bit of time she finally calmed down enough to talk more calmly.

Ruby: Do you think I should of been leader?

Y/N: Why would you say something like that Of course you do.

Ruby: Aunt Weiss says that I didn't deserve the position.

Y/N: (sighs) Petals, you know that Weiss is trying to figure herself out?

Ruby: Really?

Y/N: When I first had Ilena my mom told me how my father was trying to turn her into an image of himself. I told her that she needed to fight it.

Ruby: Why would grandpa do that?

Y/N: Let's say your grandpa was an awful parent.

Ruby: Really?

Y/N: Yup, he is mellowing out with age. That and I think he is beginning to understand that he does not want to die alone. Cannot exactly carry your fortunes to the afterlife. Now he is still awful but he is improving.

Ruby: I never knew. I mean I knew he was bad but he was good you know?

Y/N: He is in a weird spot right now. He has his outbursts. Then there still is the company which is a whole different talk. Though Weiss is feeling pressured to fix our name. Ruby, as for you.

Ruby: Do you really think I should be the leader?

Y/N: Ozpin made you leader for a reason. He knows what he's doing. I saw your clips.

Ruby: How was I anyways? Did you see how I kicked that Nevermore's butt?

Y/N: Yeah, it's definitely dead alright. Now I can go about what it means to be a leader but something tells me I should take the different approach. Ruby, were you not the the girl who took initiative and stopped a robbery that got into Beacon?

Ruby: I was.

Y/N: Yup, and Rose was angry for letting you go to the store late at night.

Ruby: (touches finger tips together) Sorry.

Y/N: But you got in. Though she gave me the silent treatment.

Ruby: Really? But you and mom are-

Y/N: She lasted a minute. Rose, got excited that you got into Beacon. Anyways were you not the one who took charge of the situation when the fight looked bleak. Then lead your team to victory?

Ruby: I was!

Y/N: Ruby, you just started and you already got into Beacon two years early. Even I can't do that.

Ruby: Wait... didn't you graduated early?

Y/N: You're ruining the moment.

Hearing her laugh you knew that the job was close to being done. You just had to nail it.