Chapter 24: Bruised Angels

Start from the beginning

"Hi, Amy."

"Oh, hi Grace. I didn't think you'd be up this early."

"Things get started pretty early here at Med Camp. What's up?"

"I wanted to talk to you about some things and I was wondering when you'll be back from camp so we can meet up and talk."

"Well, I'm here for three more weeks but I have free time at night when we could talk if you didn't wanna wait."

"Okay, sure. John's usually down for the night about 8:00. Could you talk then?"

"Yeah. Lights out isn't until 10:00 so we can talk for a bit."

"Sounds good. I'll talk to you tonight, Grace."

"Kay. Talk to you later, Amy." Although Amy really wanted to talk to Grace face-to-face, she didn't really wanna wait three more weeks. Plus, thankfully she didn't have a lot to ask or say to Grace so this could work. One more conversation to schedule this week Amy thought to herself as she again pulled out her parents' directory. She flipped until she found the number for Reverend Stone and dialed the number.

"Community Church, this is Georgia speaking. How may I help you?"

"My name is Amy Juergens and I was wondering if Revered Stone was available."

"One moment please." Amy waited as Georgia went to see if he was around, and he was because she was patched through to his phone.

"Hello, Amy. What can I do for you," the reverend asked.

"Hello. I just have a question for you and a request to make."

"Alright. What's your question?"

"Why did you offer me a job at the nursery?"

"Well, because my son informed me that you needed a job so you could keep your baby and I had a job available. Are you unhappy working at the nursery, Amy?" She chuckled.

"No, it's nothing like that. I was just wondering why you decided to help me when you didn't have to and you had nothing to gain by it." This time the reverend chuckled.

"Believe it or not, Amy, there are still some people out there who believe in helping others and don't expect or want anything in return, Christians or not."

"I don't think I've ever thanked you for helping me so I'd like to formally say thank you for giving me my job, Reverend Stone."

"You're very welcome, Amy. Now didn't you say there was also a request you wanted to make?"

"Yes. I'd like to also formally thank Jack for enlisting your help to help me but I don't know his cell number. I was wondering if you'd be willing to give it to me."

"Well, since he hasn't given it to you already I'm not really comfortable giving it to you but I'll give you our home phone number and you can call to speak with him whenever you'd like. Although I should tell you that he's at football camp for three more weeks."

"Alright, and I don't mind waiting three more weeks to speak to him." Reverend Stone gave Amy his home phone number and she put it in her phone. A thought occurred to him.

"Amy?"

"Yes?"

"Does Jack have your cell number?"

"I don't think so. Why?"

"He calls home from camp once a week. I was just thinking that if he called I could tell him you wanted to speak to him and suggest that he call your cell. But if he doesn't have your number I'll suggest he call your house and speak to you. Thank way you won't have to wait three weeks if you don't want to."