Chapter 23: Skeletons In the Closet

Ricky got ready for work the next morning on autopilot, his mind on his upcoming conversation with Adrian that night. After his talk with Amy he knew he needed to sincerely apologize to Adrian for his behavior and actions towards her but he was also angry at her for the way she had treated someone he cared about so much. He went through his work day quietly, not saying much unless he was spoken to but not appearing so standoffish to customers that Bunny would get on his case. He had never been so relieved to be done working the day when his shift finally ended. He showered and changed before fixing himself something for dinner. He kept checking his phone to see what time it was, silently willing 7:00 to get closer. He finished his meal and headed over to Adrian's. He stayed in his car and took several deep breaths before he got out and walked up to her front door; this was gonna be one uncomfortable conversation. Ricky knew Adrian lashed out when she felt attacked and she was going to say some pretty hurtful things to him because she also had a tendency to be cruel when she felt hurt or upset. Regardless, Ricky needed to have this conversation with her and get some things off his chest. He knocked on the front door and Ruben answered it.

"Hello, Ricky. Adrian said you'd be stopping by." He moved aside so Ricky could enter. "She's up in her room."

"Okay. Ruben?"

"Yes?"

"Just so you know ahead of time, our discussion is probably gonna get heated and there may be some yelling." Ruben arched an eyebrow in question but only acknowledged Ricky's words with a nod of his head. Ricky climbed the stairs apprehensively but full of determination and knocked on her bedroom door when he reached it.

"Come in." Ricky did so and closed the door behind him. Adrian was sitting on her bed cross-legged and looked up from her phone. Ricky sat down on her bed but made sure to keep some distance between them. "So..." she said.

"I need to talk to you about what happened to us, Adrian, beyond the BS facades we both put up." She arched an eyebrow but didn't say anything. "And we need to start with your jealousy of Amy."

"I knew this was about Amy."

"Most of our problems have always been about Amy. Care to explain from your point of view why that was?" he asked her seriously, determined not to reveal anything to her before he was ready to. Adrian sighed.

"Because I knew you wanted her more than me." Ricky arched an eyebrow.

"And did you believe that before or after you found out she was having my baby?"

"It was obvious, Ricky. Why else would you change your mind and decide you wanted to be a daddy if not to get closer to Amy," Adrian replied, rolling her eyes.

"That decision had nothing to do with Amy; it was about me. And you didn't answer my question. Did you think I wanted Amy more than you before or after you found out she was having my baby?"

"A little of both I guess."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning I knew you were interested in her 'cuz you'd already slept with her and I knew you'd probably go after her just because she wasn't interested in you. When I found out she was having your baby I knew that was gonna be a problem for me." She crossed her arms as an irritated look came over her face.

"We weren't together at that point Adrian; we were just fooling around." Ricky rolled his eyes, remembering their conversation after Amy decided not to get an abortion. "And why did you suddenly jump to the conclusion that I was gonna marry her anyway?"

"That's what most guys do when they get a girl knocked up."

"I wasn't most guys back then and I certainly wasn't gonna marry some girl I barely knew and that I wasn't in love with."