one

I find it really funny how your first opinion on someone can change so much once you get to know them.

As human beings, we naturally judge someone by our first look at them. It doesn't matter how hard you try not to, and maybe you don't do it aloud, but you always end up judging someone by the first look at them.

Having this theory down to a science, I'm the type of person that's really big on first impressions. I'm also the type of person who appreciates respect and when I don't get it, i demand it until I do get it.

And that particular January Tuesday night in Seattle, my standards were no lower than usual as I shook off my umbrella right outside of Starbucks before stepping inside and pulling my hair loose from my hood.

Seattle is like a Starbucks city. There's simply too many of them for the density of the city, and if you stayed for a short vacation and went to a different Starbucks everyday I guarantee you wouldn't go to the same one twice.

I however didn't like change. I'm a consistency kind of person and I always went to the same one. Have been for the past 6 months now, so much that I met my best friend who works here.

"Taylor," Luke smiled at me. "The usual?"

"You know the answer to that already, Hemmings," I said as he smirked and placed my order of a tall apple cider. I usually came in here a couple times during the week to just kinda settle down after work before going home with Luke to our shared apartment.

Its actually kind of a funny story how Luke and I ended up moving in together and becoming so close. The first day I'd come in here looking for a fresh start from the home I'd ran away from 6 months ago, Luke of course was working and was having an especially clumsy day, and ended up completely screwing up my order. After tripping over his words completely and apologizing a good 5 or 6 times, he decided he was going to just step up his game and asked to make it up to me by taking me out to dinner sometime. Then after a few awkward dates and a horrible attempt at a first kiss that ended in us making out in his bedroom and his brother walking in on us, we decided we weren't meant for each other and became close friends. 5 months later Luke decided he needed to move out and we compromised on moving in together so we could support each other financially and emotionally. Long story short, Luke screwing up my first order was probably the best thing that had happened to me since I moved out.

"It has been pouring down rain relentlessly all day," Luke said as he made my drink behind the counter.

"Yeah," I agreed. "Just count your blessings that you didn't have to walk a mile in it."

"We'll take a cab home," he rolled his eyes.

"Good," I said, pushing a 5 dollar bill on the counter as Luke took it and pulled out my change, handing it to me across the counter.

I took my drink, settling into my usual spot in the corner of the store in front of the fireplace. Stripping my coat from my body, I draped it over the arm of the couch, opening my umbrella enough to dry from the rain. I took my phone from my brown over the shoulder purse and propped my feet up--laced boots and all--onto the footrest in front of me. I scrolled through my Instagram feed while sipping on my drink, enjoying my cozy place by the fire.

It wasn't 10 minutes that I'd been sitting when I heard someone clear their throat next to me, and I turned to see a boy with curly caramel colored hair sit on the couch next to me, also propping his feet up on the footrest in front of us. He casually draped his arm across the back of the couch, holding his drink in his opposite hand. Although he was a good 2 feet away from me, it was obvious he was trying to be as smooth as possible.