Chapter 4: Her Anchor

Start from the beginning

"I missed my pain in the ass"

At this Cass laughed wiping her nose before Nat turned allowing her access to the front door. Cass stepped forward to unlock it before catching a glimpse of blue to her side. Turning her head she squeals loudly before abandoning the front porch to jog over to the familiar blue metal parked in her driveway. Nat laughed seeing her so excited for her truck. Especially when she collapsed over the hood hugging it as if it was a person. 

"Aww, I missed you Luke!"

Nat through her head back laughing watching her friend mindlessly 'pet' her truck. Brushing her hand over the hood as her upper half remained lying on it. Nat walked over pulling her friend upwards before she screamed again and lunged at her. 

"God, I've missed you Nat.." They come down from the excitement as Clifford walks out of the garage and Cass sees him. "Clifford come meet my other half!"

Clifford gave a wide smile walking over and wasn't sure if Nat wanted to her know. Nat could see his hesitation so she decided to come clean. Turning to the bubbly blonde attached to her hip. 

"Cass, I need to tell you something... I know Clifford."

Cass' brows furrowed in confusion glancing back and forth between the two. Clifford steps forward with an outstretched hand to Natalia. 

"It's good to see you again Ms. Thornton."

Cass turns to her awaiting an answer. Nat sighs before answering. 

"I hired Clifford a few years ago to keep an eye on you." Cass' eyes go wide at the realization before turning to the guilty party. Clifford giving her a sheepish smile. 

"You weren't hired by the label?!"

"No Ms. Lyndel" 

Cass then turned back to her best friend who was smiling while biting her lower lip. 

"You've been paying someone to watch over me?... For years?!"

Nat could tell she wasn't upset with her, just shocked. She turned taking both Cass' hands into her own. Cass continued gawking at her. 

"I couldn't leave my only pain in my ass alone all this time." She gave a side glance to Clifford before turning back to her. "I hired him about three years ago. Do you remember the night that you and that rapper... I can't remember his name."

"Machine Gun Kelly."

Nat shakes her head at the ridiculous name. Cass smiled gently seeing her disgusted face. 

"Anyways, that night he told you that you weren't worth his time. You called me-"

"From the party, I called you crying from the bathroom."

Cass cuts her off remembering that night perfectly. She had won her first award and the label wanted her to make a duet with the upcoming rapper. He blatantly turned down the idea due to Cass' status at the time. She was also an upcoming artist but apparently not good enough for him. Cass took it hard because she thought she finally getting recognition for her work. It felt like a knife in her chest that she wasn't important enough to collaborate with. 

"I felt horrible for not being there for you. Dad's health was practically gone and I couldn't leave the farm." Cass nods her head listening to her friend. "Clifford was a friend from years ago and I knew I could trust him." 

Cass stepped away to look at the old man that has been by her side for her high and low moments. He then surprises him by wrapping her arms around him. He stiffens momentarily before relaxing and hugging the girl back.