20. The Anniversary

Champagne problems ~ Nick Jonas

I frickin love that photo. It's so cute!!

Joe was driving me to our usual diner but this time it felt more depressing.

We were going to have dinner and then go visit my dad.

"you okay?" Joe said, bringing me out of my trance.

I nodded. But he obviously saw through that and placed his hand on mine.

"Hey. It's all going to be okay. I know you're sad but he's still there watching over you. Okay?" he said, stroking my thumb.

I just took his hand that wasn't on the wheel and kissed his palm.

🌹🌹🌹

"what do you want?" Joe asked, "The usual?" I nodded.

"Can I please get two double cheeseburgers with sweet potato fries?" he asked the waitor.

I smiled. We always got that when we came here. It was like our little thing.

"And drinks?" the waitor asked

"One chocolate milkshake and one strawberry milkshake please." the waitor nodded and Joe looked at me.

"Actually, make them with extra whipped cream."

When the waitor walked away I turned to Joe.

"Extra cream?" I asked.

"Yeah, I think you need it right? More sugar to make you feel better." He smiled.

His smile alone makes me want to die.

🌹🌹🌹

When we finished our food we walked across the road to a flower shop. It was the usual one I went to.

I walked in and walked straight to the onwner, Sandra.

"Oh hey Olivia. I wasn't expecting you. Don't you usually come in on Sundays?" She asked.

"It's um, it's his anniversary." I said.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry." she said

"It's okay." I smiled, but it didn't quite reach my ears.

"you want me to whip up the usual for you?" She asked.

"Yes please."

Every time I came I always got white lilles because they were his favourite flower.

He always called me his little lilly because my middle name was Lillian. He was very passionate about flowers and gardening.

A while later she came back out and handed me the nicely wrapped flowers.

I took them and smiled at her, "Thank you, Sandra."

"No problem Honey."

It was only until Joe handed Sandra his card that she even noticed him.

"Joe, you don't have to pay you know?" I frowned, feeling bad.

"I know but I want to." He took the flowers and started to walk out of the shop.

"Who's that then?" Sandra loudly whispered to me.

"That's Joe. He's my new boyfriend." I laughed at her.

She giggled, "Well it looks like he's waiting for you so I won't stop you for long but you need to come back soon so we can have a nice chat. I haven't seen you in a while." she hugged me.