Queentrial?

He dreaded the next week. Life as a royal couldn't be anymore exhausting. Everything went by in a blur. It was boring, tedious and made Maven want to dig a hole and stay in there until he got the letter back. Unfortunately, that wouldn't work because Cal wouldn't give it back no matter what and Maven tried everything. He tried everything and anything he could think of, but each time only made Cal threaten to keep it longer than a week.

    "Cousin, what do you think? Do you think this will look nice for Queenstrial?" 

    "What?" 

    Maven couldn't help, but get lost in his own thoughts. He kept thinking about Thomas and the letter that was in Cal's posession. There was one more day to go until Cal will give the letter back. He wondered what was in it. There was so much he wanted to talk about, but it felt wrong to write a letter back when he didn't know what the letter Thomas wrote said. So, he spent most of his time thinking about what to write.

    "Are you alright, cousin? You seek awfully distracted today." Samson looked at him.

    "Ah, of course. I just remembered, I have some work to get done. Perhaps we can see each other another time. I apologize for cutting it short today." Maven responded. 

    "I understand. Do update me about any news from Queenstrial that you know of." He smiled wickedly. 

    "I will update you soon hopefully." Maven forced a smile back before dashing to his room.

    Dearest Thomas, 

    Unfortunately, my brother has taken your letter so I have struggled to figure out what to write back. Whatever it is that you write, I will be sure to write to you soon, but I had something I wanted to ask you. I know it is a lot to ask, but would you perhaps be interested in coming to Queenstrial as my guest? I would love to meet you. I understand if you reject my offer, but if you agree. I could not be happier to see you and do not worry, I have my ways. I can sneak you in.

    Maven

    It was only then did Maven hear a knock on the door. Samson. Maven thought, having seen him running out the room like a child. He must've had some suspicion and wanted to ask him about it. He didn't know about the letters he were exchanging with Thomas. Only Cal and maybe his mother knew. Nobody else. Maven pushed his chair back and went over to the door. He was hesitant at first to open it l, but finally opened the door to reveal Cal standing on the other side.

    "Let's make a deal." He said.

Author's Note: Everything, but the story belongs to Victoria Aveyard.