*Chapter 13: Hired by coffee

We often fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected times.

Life was never fair.

It doesn't stop to help those who have fallen and won't bat a single glance at those crawling on the ground. If you cannot run at its pace, you'll be abandoned and forgotten.

Why did I ever think that it would stop to help me?

I was no longer sure if meeting Blake was something I should've just classified as bad luck or fortune, not when I consider what had happened after that event. My brother is alive, we were doing just fine and lived in a place I wouldn't have thought of in another hundred years.

Perhaps it was quite hypocritical of me to speak of abandoning those who cannot mend for themselves when I, myself, was one of those people firmly rejecting the whole idea of my life getting better.

Was it because of everything that had happened so far that I was still stuck on that thought that the little bundle of happiness I finally managed to put together was going to fall apart the moment I removed my eyes from it?

Or because I've been used to losing things the moment I get them all the time that I now no longer know how to grasp onto those things?

It's how people worked, really. We, humans, could only either accept everything that went against us as the truth or everything that goes in our favor. We can rarely accept both at the same time. It's something I came to understand in my life once I realized how difficult it was to truly be happy. I belonged to the first group, and lately I've been coming to belong to the second one.

Why?

I didn't know.

I no longer knew anything.

I couldn't allow myself to do so. Was adulthood always this difficult?

"Merry Christmas Kay-Kay!" It was the voice of my little brother that pulled me out of my thoughts. No longer did I think about life while staring at the ceiling, the thought hit me so hard reminding me of what my reality was.

He was alive. My little brother was still breathing.

I was happy, truly happy. So even if there was a part of me that refused to move on, I just smiled and continued to walk forward.

"Merry Christmas to you too, Ade." He dashed through the entire living room as he jumped in my arms and I couldn't help but hug him as tight as I could.

To be honest, I was probably just experiencing that what adults call rebellious phase or existential crisis.

"Look what Santa gave me!" Ignoring the nickname, he moved away to show me the toy he was hiding behind his back. It was probably Blake's doing.

Blake in a Santa suit. For some reason, I wanted to see that one.

Why?

"Who would've guessed, that means that you were a good kid this year, now you only need to be even better to get what you truly want for the next one." I told him and he grinned. Kids have no idea how happy they are for believing in Santa. Imagine one wish of yours coming true if you were good for the entire year, then there would no longer be people with regrets.

But no matter how much we wish for it, some things are simply never going to undo themselves. But maybe that's for the best. All those happy and painful things from the past are what define us. Undoing them would be the same as deleting those unique pieces of yourself we possessed, that also give us strength. It's weakness and sadness that teach people of the purest kindness.