Playthings

Blue Music is playing and over the motel walls s; they are covered in maps, hand-written notes, and a MISSING poster showing Ava's face The whole scene is eerily reminiscent of John's  middle-of-a-hunt wallpaper and Sam is on the phone and says "Yeah. Okay. Thanks, Ellen." Dean and Sarah entering Dean says "What'd she have to say?" Sam says "Oh, she's got nothing. Me, I've been checking every database I can think of — federal, state, and local. No one's heard anything about Ava, she just . . . into thin air, you know?" Sarah says "Huh." He hands one of the two cups of coffee he's holding whilst sarah has her in her hand and Sam asks "What about you two?" Dean says "No, same as before. Sorry, man." Sam says "Ellen did have one thing." Dean says "Hmm?" Sam says "A hotel in Cornwall, Connecticut. Two freak accidents in the past three weeks." Sarah asks "Yeah? What's that have to do with Ava?" 

Sam says "It's a job. I mean, a lady drowned in the bathtub; then a few days ago a guy falls down the stairs, head turns a complete one-eighty. Which isn't exactly normal, you know? Look, I don't know, Dean, it might be nothing, but I told Ellen we'd think about checking it out." Dean says "You did!" Sam says "Yeah. You seem surprised." Dean says "Well yeah, it's just, you know. not the, uh, patented Sam Winchester way, is it?" Sam mildly challenging says "What way is that?" Dean says "I just figured after Ava there'd be, uh, you know, more angst and droopy music and staring out the rainy windows, and --" Sam gives dean a look and he says "yeah, I'll shut up now." Sam says "Look. I'm the one who told her to go back home. Now her fiancé's dead and some demon has taken her off to God knows where. You know? But we've been looking for a month now, and we've got nothing. So I'm not giving up on her, but I'm not going to let other people die either. We've got to save as many people as we can." Sarah says "Wow. That attitude is just way too healthy for me, and I'm officially uncomfortable now. Thank you." Sam ducks his head and laughs and Dean says "All right, call Ellen. Tell her we'll take it."

It's not raining, but the roads are wet and the air misty as Sam, Sarah and Dean  park the impala in front of the inn. Dean  gets out of the driver's side and says "Dude, this is sweet. I never get to work jobs like this." Sam says "Like what?" Dean says "Old school haunted houses, you know? Fog, and secret passageways ... sissy British accents. Might even run into Fred and Daphne while we're inside." Closes his eyes for a few seconds and says "Mmm, Daphne. Love her." Sarah ignores the comment and heads in front of them, as they go  up the steps, Sam notices an urn on the side of the porch and says "Hey, wait a sec."  He inspects it more closely and says "I'm not so sure haunted's the problem." Sarah asks "What do you mean?" Sam says "You see this pattern here?" tapping a five-point symbol engraved in the urn and he says "That's a quincunx, that's a five-spot." Dean says "Five-Spot." Sam says "Yeah." Sarah asks "That's used for hoodoo spellwork, isn't it?" Sam says "Right, yeah. You fill this thing with bloodweed and you've got a powerful charm to ward off enemies." Dean asks "Yeah, except I don't see any bloodweed. Don't you think this place is a little too, uh, white meat for hoodoo?" Sam shrugs and says "Maybe."

Inside the Pierpont Inn day time, As they enter, looking around at the quiet interior, Susan enters briskly and asks "May I help you?" Sarah says "Hi, yeah, I'd like a room for a couple of nights." As Sam moves in, Tyler darts darts in front of his legs, chased by Maggie , who runs behind him and Susan says "Hey!" She then turns to Sam and says "Sorry about that." Sam says "No Problem." Susan then says "Well, um, congratulations, you could be some of our final guests." Dean asks "Well. Sounds vaguely ominous." Susan says "No, I'm sorry, I mean we're closing at the end of the month." She appraising them and says "Well, let me guess, You three are here antiquing?" Dean sharing a "why not?" look with Sarah and Sam and says "How'd you know?" Susan says "Oh, you just look the type." Dean looks vaguely uncomfortable and Susan says "So, uh, king-sized bed?" Sam says "What? No, uh, no, we're, we're . . . two singles. We're just brothers, this is my brothers girlfriend." Susan says "Oh. Oh, I'm so sorry." Dean then says "What'd you mean that we look the type?" Susan has trouble articulating an answer and Sarah says "You know, speaking of antiques, you have a really, really interesting urn on the front porch. Where did you get that?" Susan says "Oh, I have no idea, it's been there forever." She hands Dean a key and continues "Here you go, Mr. Mahagov." Dean says "Thanks." Susan ringing the bell says "You'll be staying in room 237. Sherwin, could you show these gentlemen and Lady  to their rooms?" As she says this, Dean turns to see an old, balding man in a black blazer shuffling up behind him and Sherwin says "Let me guess. Antiquers?" Sherwin drags Dean's clunking duffel bag behind him, up the steps, as the brothers and Sarah follow and then Dean says "I could give you a hand with that bag." Sherwin says "I got it." Sam says "So the hotel's closing up, huh?" Sherwin says "Yep. Miss Susan tried to make a go of it, but the guests just don't come like they used to. Still, it's a damn shame." Sarah says "Oh, yeah?" Sherwin says "It may not look it anymore, but this place was a palace. Two different vice-presidents laid their heads on our pillows. My parents worked here, I practically grew up here. Gonna miss it. Here's your room." He slips the key in the lock and opens the door, handing the key to Sarah as he brushes past. Dean  turns to shut the door and Sherwin is standing there, hand extended expectantly and he says "You're not gonna ... cheap out on me, are you, boy?" Dean shrugs, looks annoyed as he pulls out his wallet.