Croatoan

It was night time, Dean is driving, Sam navigating with a GPS device which speaks directions and Sarah is sitting in the back seat behind dean where she usually sits looking out of the window and GPS voice says "Continue on O-R Two-Two-Four West." Sam says "There are only two towns in the US named Rivergrove." Sarah asks "How come you're so sure it's the one in Oregon?"Sam says "There was a picture. Crater Lake." Dean asks "Okay, what else?" Sam says "I saw a dark room, some people, and a guy tied to a chair." Dean says "And I ventilated him?" Sam says "Yeah. You thought there was something inside him." Dean asks "What, a demon? Was he possessed?" Sam says "I don't know." 

Dean says "What, a demon? Was he possessed?" Sam says "I don't know." Dean says "Well, all your weirdo visions are always tied to the Yellow-Eyed Demon somehow . . . so was there any black smoke? Did we try to exorcise it?" Sam says "No. Nothing, you just plugged him, that's it." Dean says "Well, I'm sure I had a good reason." Sam says "I sure hope so." Dean says "What does that mean? I mean, I'm not gonna waste an innocent man." Sam and Sarah gives him a look and he says "I wouldn't." Sarah says "I never said you would!" Dean says "Fine!" Sam says "Fine! Look, we don't know what it is. But whatever it is, that guy in the chair's a part of it. So let's find him, and see what's what." Dean says "Fine." Sam says "Fine." Sarah says "Fine."

On Rivergrove street day, The Winchesters and Sarah  pull into town past a large billboard advertising Crater Lake, They pull up in front of a wooden shop; out front the older man from the vision mark is cleaning a rifle; he wears a short-sleeved blue shirt with a multi-pocket brown vest, Sarah, Sam and Dean approach him and Dean says "Morning." Mark says "Good morning. Can I help you?" Dean says "Yeah." pulling out a badge and says "Uh, Billy Gibbons, Frank Beard and Charlotte mills.  U.S. Marshals." Mark asks "What's this about?" Sarah says "We're looking for someone." Sam says "A young man, early twenties, He'd have a, a thin scar right below his hairline." Mark asks "What did he do?"Sam says "Well, nothing. We're actually looking for someone else, but we think this young man could help us." Dean says "Yeah, he's not in any kind of trouble or anything; well, not yet." 

He glances down at Mark's left arm which shows a distinctive tattoo and he says "I think maybe you know who he is . . . Master Sergeant." Smiling he says "My dad was in the Corps, he was a Corporal." Mark asks "What company?" Dean says "Echo-2-1." Sarah asks "So can you help us?" Mark hesitates and he says "Duane Tanner's got a scar like that. But I know him. Good kid, keeps his nose clean." Dean says "Oh, I'm sure he does. Um. You know where he lives?" Mark says "With his family, up Aspen Way." Dean says "Thank you."They leave; Mark frowns as he watches them go, Across the street, Sam bumps into a telephone pole and glances at it in passing. He stops; carved into the wood is a single word "CROATOAN" and he says "Hey." Dean says "Croaton?" Sam says "Yeah." 

Both Sarah and Dean looks at Sam blankly and Sam says "Roanoke? Lost colony? Ring a bell? Dean and Sarah, did you pay any attention in history class?" Dean says "Yeah! Shots heard 'round the world, How bills becomes laws . . ." Sarah looks at him and says "That's not school, that's Schoolhouse Rock." Dean says "Whatever." Sam says "Roanoke was one of the first English colonies in America, late 1500s?" Dean says "Oh yeah, yeah, I do remember that. The only thing they left behind was a single word carved in a tree. Croatoan." Sam says "Yeah. And I mean, there were theories — Indian raid, disease, but nobody knows what really happened. They were all just gone. I mean, wiped out overnight." 

Sarah asks "You don't think that's what's going on here, I mean . . ." Sam says "Whatever I saw in my head, it sure wasn't good. But what do you think could do that?" Dean says "Well, I mean, like I said, all of your weirdo visions are always tied to the Yellow-Eyed Demon somehow, so . . ." Sarah says "We should get help. Bobby, uh, Ellen maybe?" Dean says "Yeah, that's a good idea." Dean pulls out his cell phone, then frowns at it and says "I don't have a signal." Sam and Sarah do the same and shakes their heads and Sam says "Me either." Sarah says "Same, that's weird though." They walk to a pay phone, which Dean picks up; we hear the "out of service" beeping, and Dean clicks the receiver several times and says "Line's dead." He hangs up the phone and says "I'll tell you one thing. If I was gonna massacre a town, that'd be my first step."