A Pleasant Goodbye

Amaryllis

"I, Prince Raji Shenazard of Tanbarun, would like to publicly announce my engagement to the beautiful Princess Amaryllis Wistaria."

Those words just keep playing in my head, along with Prince Izana's voice as he tells us the contract Raji produced to substantiate his claims is real and rather iron clad. I am Prince Raji's fiancée whether I want to be or not. I'm still clinging to Obi's arm as if it's the only thing keeping me from hitting the floor. I knew of Raji's feelings toward me but I didn't expect for this to be part of his reason for trying to remain so close to me. He's still fighting this with my brothers though as they try to find a way to get it called off but he's holding strong.

"How about what Amaryllis wants?" Izana cuts in, silencing Zen and Raji's bickering for a moment. "She's been missing for so many years and you are not considering what she may want. I am not going to force her into anything simply because I am content with having my sister safe and alive. If you're so desperate to marry her, you must only care for the power that the bond would create or having a trophy wife if you do not care for her emotions and desires."

"I was simply going to hold onto the contract in hopes that she would fall in love with me on her own, but new revelations came to light and it was my only option." His eyes cut over to Obi and I see a sly smirk on his face.

He heard Obi's confession to me and decided to pull this as a trump card. Obi's desire to be with me isn't strong enough to override a marriage contract between the kings. I'm going to be stuck marrying Raji...

"Regardless, I will not force my sister to be with someone without it being her will. Amaryllis, what do you want?"

"I want to be with Obi." I answer simply, though I can't get myself to look up at Obi out of shyness for saying that so boldly.

Raji laughs. "She can't be serious. He's just some lowlife you picked up off the streets. I guarantee whatever led him to discovering her existence couldn't have been anything legal, yet you allow him into your castle and near your sister. He's messed with her head somehow to manipulate her into wanting him for some reason. I can make her happy and give her anything her heart desires. What could he offer her?"

"Fiancé or not, I do not have to allow you to remain here speaking of anyone in that manner. Leave my castle, Raji Shenazard." Izana cuts in, ending his rant.

"Fine, but since she is set to wed me, if I leave, I am taking her with me and he is not going to come along."

My grip on Obi tightens as he gently pulls me closer to him.

"Until the wedding happens, she does not have to travel anywhere with you, so she is not leaving with you unless she chooses to do so." Izana smoothly shoots him down as he gets to his feet. "You may throw in whatever claims you'd like but that doesn't make them true. The only foothold you have in this situation is the contract. As it stands, she is your fiancée, yes, but there is nothing further she is held to. She holds free will beyond that. Now I do believe I ordered you to leave. Don't worry, I will make sure that you are escorted out. Obi, Kiki, Mitsuhide, make sure our esteemed guest has a very pleasant goodbye from all of us at Wistal Castle."

"Yes Sir."

Obi presses a gentle kiss to the top of my head before walking me over to stand by my brothers. He casts me a wink before following behind Raji as Mitsuhide and Kiki lead him from the room. I look up at my brothers, hoping somehow they'll tell me it was all a lie and I'm not set to marry Raji against my will, but those words don't come out.

"I don't want to marry him..." I sigh.

"We will find a way to fix this, don't worry. I'd never let you marry that creep anyway. I haven't liked him since I heard of what he did to Shirayuki."

It definitely doesn't make me feel any better about the man I'm set to be forced to marry, but Zen tells me about how Raji tried to demand Shirayuki to become his concubine before she fled Tanbarun and ended up meeting Zen and coming here.

"Would talking to Prince Raji's father do anything to cancel the contract since he was one of the signers?"

"It's possible but not likely. I would have to stand in Father's place to sort it out, but the bond it would create between the kingdoms would be too great a loss for King Shenazard to release it so easily." Izana sighs and returns to his chair to take another drink from a bottle that he'd had tucked into one of the desk drawers. "I do have a plan that involves Obi, but it would be a lot for you to consider and agree to."

"What is it, Prince Izana?" Obi asks as he shuts the door behind him.

I sigh softly and rest my head against Obi's arm as we stare out across the moonlit grounds from my balcony. The event carried on without us and most people left but a few were welcomed to stay. I quickly abandoned the dress and make up in favor of a large grey tunic and a pair of black leggings. I undid the hairstyle Lyniah put together and let my hair fall loosely again.

"So, what do you think Izana's offer?"

"It would definitely be a drastic change."

"It's your decision in the end, you know."

"It's just as much yours as it is mine."

"I'm alright with anything so long as it allows me to keep you in my life."

"Me too."

I look up at Obi and he smiles down at me before brushing my hair from my eyes. I gently pull on the front of his shirt until he leans down and our lips meet.