Hidden Away

Amaryllis

"...I wanted to kiss you... Obi." I whisper.

I don't know what I'm expecting from my confession, but I don't expect his face to pale and for him not to speak, so I look down to blink away the tears threatening to surface. Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything. Obi is going to be with me for a long time and I may have ruined it all. I feel his hand touch my face and he gently lifts until I look up at him. I can't read his expression or anything but he's leaning in toward me like he did in the ballroom. I just hope he doesn't pull away this time. I don't have the courage to kiss him myself if he does. Our lips brush and I feel a spark run through my body. I'm not sure what it means but it feels right. I feel my hands move up to grip his shirt as he gently pulls me closer. When we part, he presses a soft kiss to my forehead as I look up at him. I'm nervous, but I can't get myself to see anything but him.

"I-I'm sorry for kissing you without your permission, I just couldn't wait anymore..." He mumbles as a slight red tint colors his cheeks.

"It's okay, I'm glad you did it. I...I wanted my first real kiss to be with you."

"Amaryllis? Where are you Darling?"

My eyes widen and I duck behind Obi though the door is locked.

"Are you still worried about seeing Prince Raji?" Obi whispers with a chuckle.

"I... may have lied about why I was hiding from him."

"Then why are you hiding from him?"

"He tried to kiss me without asking and I got scared and ran away. It didn't feel right, the way it did with you."

"I'm going to kill him."

"For doing exactly what you did just a few minutes ago?"

"Well, that's totally different."

"How?"

"Because I lov- I-It just is. Now hush unless you want me to hand you over to him."

"Because you what?"

"N-Nothing..." He mumbles as he runs a hand through his hair.

I sigh as I settle in a seat across the desk from my eldest brother. Obi was called away by Zen for some matter concerning the ball so I decided here would be safer from Prince Raji than being on my own. It wasn't as if he attacked me or anything, he stopped by my painting studio to bring Miss Fluffy back since she got out, and he suddenly tried to kiss me. It felt wrong so I ducked under his arm and took off. I'll still have to face him since the ball is in two days.

"Something is troubling you."

I look up to find Izana peeking up at me from his paperwork.

"Oh, it's nothing, really."

"I feel like you're lying to me." He sighs.

"Quite possibly."

"Is it to do with Obi or Prince Raji? Perhaps both?"

"There was a rather awkward event concerning Prince Raji and myself earlier today."

"Did he ask to court you? He'd spoken to me about the possibility."

"No, no. He asked me days ago and told me not to tell you or Zen about it. I do not wish to get Prince Raji into any sort of trouble though."

"Trouble will depend on what occurred. So, what happened?"

"He tried to kiss me without asking. I didn't want to so I ducked under his arm and found Obi who agreed to hide me for a while."

"I rather hoped he wouldn't do something so bold. Does Obi know?"

I arch a brow but nod. "Why?"

"Just... curious. Though if you wish for me not to address the problem with Prince Raji, I will not, but if he chooses to do something of that sort without consent I will take it in my own hands. What was Obi's reaction?"

"He wasn't happy about it but I asked him not to retaliate."

"Very curious." Izana smirks.

"You concern me sometimes."

Miss Fluffy purrs contentedly on my stomach as I absently pet her while staring up at the ceiling in my room. Obi never returned from meeting with Zen and Izana had a meeting, so I decided to return to my room. Now that I am here though, my thoughts are running through the kiss and what it all could mean. I have romantic feelings toward Obi, that much I know for sure, but I am unsure of how he feels about me. Kisses could mean anything really. If he did hold feelings for me, would we be allowed to be together? I'm not sure if my brothers would allow for it since we are apparently of different status and he works for me. I don't see how the different status part means we can't be together but I guess that's how it is for royalty and nobility. I've read about royalty falling for a commoner and them marrying but that was only in stories, not real life. Izana had mentioned Prince Raji asking to court me, so does that mean Izana approved of the potential pairing? What if they decide to marry me to Raji? I can't say no, not after what all they've done for me, though I really don't want to marry him.

"Things are complicated, Miss Fluffy." I sigh and she mews in response.

The door opens after a soft knock and Obi enters the room. Miss Fluffy abandons her comfort in favor of winding around Obi's ankles. She's grown rather attached to him and hisses around Prince Raji.

"You survived my brother it seems."

"Yeah," He sighs. "It was yet another meeting concerning your safety at the event. I feel like after rescuing you from a burning and collapsing building and directly fighting him for trying to touch you, he shouldn't doubt my ability to protect you."

"That's true." I chuckle but it fades as my thoughts come back. "Obi, can I ask you something?"

"Always, Blondie. What is it?"