Hide and Seek

Obi

I gently shut the doors to her room before turning to leave. She'd finally tired herself out and had fallen asleep so I tucked her in for the night. She still never told me what exactly Raji said, but I guarantee it's more than what she's letting on. I find Izana walking through the corridors a few minutes later and he stops for me to catch up.

"Hello Obi, how is my sister adjusting?"

"She's made a few friends and is getting more comfortable moving around the castle."

"That's nice. Have you told her about your feelings?"

I sigh and shake my head. "I've told you before that I'm not going to."

"Well, you may miss your shot then. Prince Raji has asked to court her."

"What?"

"He found me a few hours prior and asked for my blessing to pursue her. I have yet to approve or deny his request, though her decision will be the deciding factor really. If you have feelings for her like you say, I won't disapprove of you courting her."

"But I don't want her to think that the men she knew in her life only stayed around because they wanted her. Oren... I'm not sure what exactly he wanted with her, but he was obsessed, and I have feelings for her but I guarantee she only sees me as a friend regardless. Raji has known her for like five days and is practically trying to marry her."

"When did you start to have feelings for her?"

"I couldn't stand her at first, I mean she took me out with a damn skillet, but I thought it was cute that she freaked out over the bugs and animals and the grass. I don't really know when I started to really have feelings for her, but it went from wanting to be rid of her to wanting to protect her with my life and to see her happy. I became willing to do whatever it took to make sure she got her wish to see the lanterns." I sigh and run a hand through my hair as I glance back toward the corner that leads to her door. "I don't really know the extent of my feelings but I know I want her in my life forever, whether I get the chance to call her my own or not."

"Just keep in mind, you'll never get the chance if you don't tell her."

"I feel like a prince shouldn't endorse a common criminal pursuing his sister."

"If you confessed and she felt the same way would you stop if I ordered it? I figure it less exhausting to simply go along with it."

I feel a light weight crash into my back and suppress a smile as I hear her ask me to help her hide from Prince Raji. If I'm understanding correctly, he found Miss Fluffy and brought her back while I had been called away by Prince Zen and he wanted to spend time with her. She convinced him that a game of Hide and Seek would be wonderful, so now she's hiding from him in the realest sense possible. At least I don't have to worry about her wanting to be with Prince Raji romantically unless she does it out of obligation.

"How can I help, Miss?"

"Hide me."

"I think I can do that."

I lead Amaryllis through the halls, careful to check for Prince Raji before rounding corners. I found an old storage room near the top floor one night while I was exploring the castle that will hide her and she will likely love the space.

"I don't think I've been on this floor before."

"This floor is just more storage space really. It's mostly decorations and such for holidays." I explain and she arches a brow.

"What are holidays?"

"Oh right, I forgot. Holidays are special days that happen once a year, like your birthday and the lanterns, that people celebrate and decorate for."

I smile softly as I watch Amaryllis stare out of the large circle window at the far end of the room. The outer edge is stained glass, leaving the center as clear glass. As soon as we entered the room, she went straight for it. It has a view that extends past the castle walls.

"It's so beautiful Obi..." She whispers.

I agree with her, but about my view instead. All I can see is her surrounded by the colorful glow.

"The most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

She turns to me in confusion then smiles, taking my breath away.

"You don't even know because you're not beside me. I'm in the way of your view."

"Seeing you happy is beautiful enough for me."

Her eyes widen slightly and a blush crosses her cheeks as she looks at the floor.

"I-I don't know about all that..."

"You're a very beautiful woman, Miss. After everything that has happened in your life, you deserve to be happy, and I am grateful that I have the opportunity to find ways to bring you happiness."

I shouldn't be speaking like this to her but I can't get myself to stop. I don't know if it's just the way the sun is shining on her, or Prince Izana's prodding for me to confess, or the threat of Prince Raji wanting to court her, but I can't shut up.

"Obi... In the ballroom the other day... Were you going to kiss me?" Her face is completely red but she looks up at me awaiting an answer.

What the hell am I supposed to say to that? She's never been that direct about anything.

"I-I well... I- uh..."

"If you wanted to, why didn't you?"

"What?"

"...I wanted to kiss you... Obi." She whispers.

Her gaze moves to the floor again when I don't answer, so with a slightly trembling hand, I reach out and gently cup her cheek and lift her face until she looks up at me. I lean down and close the distance between us.