With that, Hoseok swam away as fast as he could, ignoring Taehyung's heartbroken screams.

"STOP! NO, PLEASE! DON'T! I'M BEGGING YOU, PLEASE!" Taehyung tried to swim after him, but his tail hurt too much.

"I─I don't want to d─die.." He whispered, seeing his life flash before his eyes. His whole shaking body was now pressed into the corner of the cave.

────🐚────

Hoseok bowed down politely, his tail keeping him in place. In front of him, were the three most respected mer-people in their history.

The merfolk's council.

"What brings you here, young man?" The authoriative voice of the elderly mermaid was heard.

Never looking up, Hoseok voiced out with dread,

"I'm here to warn you about a merman who has brought everyone in danger, Ma'am."

The mermaid glanced at the two mermen next to her in worry. They nodded at each other very seriously, wanting to know more about this matter immediately.

"Look at us, young man." Hoseok did as instructed, meeting their eyes.

"That is a very serious statement you inquired. Tell us everything, right away."

That's how he began telling them everything he knows. From his assumptions about Taehyung leaving, all the way up to their last encounter.

He didn't even realise that Jimin was guilty too, all of his hate was fixated on Taehyung. He didn't even think of the silver tailed male.

"Young man, you know how serious this matter is to all of us. Can you prove to us that what you're telling us is the truth? How are we sure that this isn't a deed out of hatred towards a certain someone you just want to get rid of?"

Hoseok bit his lip, "I know where the said merman currently is, Sir. I could take you there so you'll all see the truth with your own eyes."

Not soon later, the four of them swam towards the cave, as they agreed to come with him. The council was perplexed to see it existed. They had never seen it before. Technically, it still was in their world, so this wasn't punishable yet.

"How do you know this cave exists, young man?" The mermaid asked Hoseok.

"I followed him, Ma'am."

Taehyung heard voices coming in closer and he just knew.

He knew this was going to be his end.

There was nothing he could do anymore.

"Show yourself." The harsh voice of one of the elderly mermen spoke up.

Taehyung ignored his painful tail, maneuvering his way through the seaweed that kept it slightly hidden. When the four other tails came in sight, he stopped in front of them.

Gasps exited everyone's mouth except for Hoseok's.

"Kim Taehyung? Out of everyone, it's you, who has brought us all in danger?"

The mentioned looked down, letting their gazes roam his wounded body.

"Tell us the truth. How do you plead? The harm inflicted on your tail says more than enough, but we want a verbal answer."

Hoseok sighed, looking down while listening to Taehyung who confessed his actions.

"This is truly unbelievable. Kim Taehyung, one of the most popular and kind mermen who has performed acts like these. You were aware of the possible consequences, yet you ignored them and decided to feed your own curious mind disregarding the possible outcomes. This is unacceptable." The respected mermaid spoke up, the merman on the right continuing after.

"You haven't only violated one rule, you have broken multiple. The most important ground rules, of all. It's a shame, really, that such a beautiful and young man has to undergo such a punishment. We make no exceptions, there are no excuses."

The other merman on the left now swam closer, instructing Taehyung to look back up.

"Kim Taehyung, hereby we allocate you with the death penalty."

It was as if Taehyung's ears started to ring the moment the elder finished his sentence.

Everything went quiet.

He could only hear his still pumping heart course blood through his system, his ragged breaths that escaped his mouth.

"I─ I accept the punishment, Sir. It's all my fault." He voiced out with great difficulty.

They nodded.

"Very well. As soon as it's midnight, you'll confess your deeds in front of our entire society, your execution following suit. After, every single mermaid and merman has to leave their home because of your recklessness. We can't afford the humans to come look for us."

Taehyung nodded again, guilt swallowing him wholly. "Alright, Ma'am. I'll be there to face the punishment I deserve, it'll be my last act of dignity and honour to thank everyone for the life I got to live."

"Very well, then. We'll see you tonight, Kim Taehyung. I advise you to not make us wait. Go ahead, spend your last few hours however you wish."

With that, they swam away, leaving Taehyung alone to drown in his misery.

"I─I'm going to d─die tonight.."
Taehyung whispered dreadfully, trying to let it thoroughly sink in.

He was petrified.