Chapter Eight

What the hell happened to you ?” Raven looked up from the fridge as Clara and Harry came in. Her friend, Zeke, sat at the kitchen table, Raven sat a glass of ice water in front of him. “Well?” she asked, waiting for Harry to reply. He shrugged.

“Some dick pinched Clara's ass,” Raven shook her head, she walked over to Harry and grabbed his face, she took in the damage, which wasn’t much. “I’m not really hurt.”

“I can see that.” she said, letting him go and sitting back down by Zeke. “This is Zeke. Zeke, this is Harry, my brother, and Clara.” He raised his hand in hello.

“Hey. Cool that you protected your girl like that.” Clara felt blood rush to her cheeks, she took a step away from Harry, who cleared his throat awkwardly.

“She’s not my girl.”

“Oh,” Zeke caught on to the awkwardness, “My bad, I thought you two were dating.” Raven intervened.

“No. Clara’s a friend who’s staying with us for a while.” she grabbed Zeke’s hand, pulling him from his chair. “We’ve got some stuff to talk about.” she whipped around to wink at Clara and Harry before heading towards her room. “Do not disturb us.”

Harry and Clara stand there for a moment longer, avoiding each other’s gaze. Harry cleared his throat again. “I’m sorry we didn’t get to play pool.” he said after a moment. Clara smiled shyly, slipping out of her shoes.

“It’s okay….I really did have a good time.” Harry’s expression changed from awkward and shy, to something akin to hope.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.” Clara reassured. She reached out and wrapped an arm around Harry, hugging into his side. He didn’t move, too surprised by her actions.”Thank you.” She smiled, gave his waist a small squeeze and turned down the hall towards her own bedroom.

The hammer comes down. Pain. White hot pain shoots up Clara’s leg and into her brain. She can’t take it. Her back arches off the bed as her good leg scrambles, trying to back away. Finn’s face is in front of hers, he’s laughing, spit flying. All she can feel is pain. All she can hear is screams. “Clara!” he shouts at her, grabbing her arms. He shakes her. “Clara-”

“Harry what are you doing!?” Raven and Zeke were brought to the room, awakened by Clara’s incessant and agonizing screams. Raven stood in the doorway, hand over her mouth, Zeke stood beside her, an arm wrapped around her shoulders. Harry had Clara by the shoulders. He shook her, trying to wake her.

“Clara!” his voice was loud and firm as he tried to wake her up. She continued to scream. “Clara wake up!” Her fingers connected with his face, she grated her nails down, pulling skin and drawing blood. He grunted in pain, but continued to try and wake her. “Clara!” Her eyes snapped open. She looked around, eyes darting back and forth, breath caught in her throat as she tried to recognize her surroundings.

“Har….” Her voice broke and she began to sob. Harry pulled her up, wrapping his arms around her awkwardly. She buried her face in his chest, soft sobs muffled in his faded grey t shirt. He turned his head to look at Raven, who was pale and worried, she always looked like that when Clara had a nightmare or a flashback. Zeke made eye contact with Harry and quietly ushered Raven away from the door and back to her own room. Harry sat on the edge of Clara’s bed, just holding her and letting her cry.