inter-high: game one // 19

Start from the beginning

Focus... focus... bring the serve to me...

The jolt of the ref's whistle kicked everything off, and just as I had hoped the server went straight for me in the back left corner of the court. Easily, the serve rocketed off my arms high and to our setter Manami, she left it up to our ace Ahira. She started off strong with a big swing at the ball, the other team wasn't ready for it - like a gunshot a boom sounded off when her hit touched the floor on their side. We cheered and celebrated the first point.

Wow, she really has a big hit during games. Can I hit like that compared to her...? Well, no matter, I have my own weapon with hitting.

Our rotation moved after the point, putting me in the front row; my hand twitched from wanting to touch the ball in anyway. Digging, hitting, blocking - I wanted the ball to come to me. From our side of the net, my scrutinizing gaze feel upon their ace. She was easily 5' 8" at the least, so I wouldn't have to change my jump tempo at all...

Our serve going over the net broke me from my calculating thoughts. I rushed to the right side of the court, hands by my head and idly waiting for anything to arrive. Their middle hitter looked ready for an attack, my feet moved to connect with Sudou, and we jumped for the middle block. I guessed correctly, and some of the crowd cheered as we sent the ball back to their defense, who was already setting up again. By the time my feet hit the ground they were sending the ball to their ace. This was a time when I put some of my aunt's training to the test.

I can make it with this...!

The momentum from running was just what I needed for this scenario, almost like an approach for hitting, I thrust my arms backwards and jumped as high as I could while sweeping them above the net in a windmill motion. My timing was spot on, and I sent the ball straight back to the floor on their side. The crowd erupted in incredulous cheers, making my cheeks tingle with adrenaline from the point. Also from relief that what I did actually worked.

"Toshi! What was that block?!" Yui called from the back line. I smiled at her.

"A swing-block of my own variation. I wasn't gonna make it in time to set up for a normal high block. My aunt taught me to use the boost of running to swing my arms like that in the air in cases when I'm running behind the hitter's tempo... So the block can still be effective."

"So cool!" Nozomi interjected. It caused me to blush slightly, though I felt proud of myself. I was going to continue to work hard and help us win the game. As the match moved on we kept a steady lead, but never held the gap very long. I had rotated to the front-right position, and our defense was struggling with the other team's serve. Unexpectedly, we didn't let it get to us. My team looked calm and determined for the next one, just as I was. If the ball were to be set up to me for an attack, I was going to get the point. I was determined to. My body was itching to make a kill, at that point I wasn't set up very many attacks.

BAM! The serve finally went to our libero who received it perfectly. I yelled for the set. "Right here, Manami!" She set the ball nice and high, about a foot from the net where I liked it. I took a big approach, eyeing both the ball and the blocker. It was their mistake to only have one person marking me and closing off the path for a straight shot. At the end of my approach my shoes squeaked off the hardwood as I climbed to my highest vertical manageable. I could see a hole in the defense right in the middle of the court, but their libero had some pesky digs so far. I took aim and smacked the ball with a flick of my wrist, sending it right on the path I wanted it to, aiming between the two furthest defenders in the back row.

They both called it out. The ball smacked the floor, on the back line just like I risked it to, and shot backwards to the wall with impressive force. The line judge waved his flag inwards on the court, signaling for our point. My team cheered  as the crowd did and I got a few pats on the back. It was a risky attack, but it was something I had been practicing since I learned to hit. Now I had to serve.

My pre-serve routine was the same every time. Hit the ball to the floor three times, spin the ball in my palm three times, deep breath, then go. My aunt had taught me the importance of a routine, to not lose focus of the serve. It's the only time in volleyball when all attention is solely focused to one single person. And it's the only time in volleyball where you fight by yourself. The serve is a one man weapon. However, this time as I was going through my routine before the whistle, I somehow tuned back in with the crowd. Something that I hadn't done for the entirety of the game - only being able to hear the cheers - this time I heard my name...

"Toshikoooo! Toshikooo! Nice serve!!" I looked to the loud voices in the crowd and laid my eyes on none other than Hinata cheering with Noya and Tanaka. And then I noticed Kageyama beside them. Then Tsukishima and Yamaguchi. It was the whole boy's volleyball club!

Did they seriously come to watch us play...?

Just as I was processing the joy, the ref's whistle startled me into my serve. The ball dinked off my hand and landed square in the net. I couldn't stop the disappointment.

"Sorry guys!" I yelled exasperated. They replied with 'don't mind's and encouraged me to get the next one. I seethed a little bit.

I let those dumb boys distract me...