sweet tooth // 14

A knock at the door lured me out of the bathroom where I was blow drying my hair after showering. While scrunching my damp locks with a towel I opened the door a crack and peeked through, timidly looking to see who was outside.

"Ah- gooooood morning, Tsukkiiii." I said with a smile, however he looked down at me annoyed.

"Don't let Yamaguchi catch you calling me that. What's got you so cheerful this morning?"

"Hmph." I pouted. "What, I can't be happy in the morning, grumpy pants?" Turning on my good foot, I walked away towards the kitchen and left the door open for him to enter. "You want some coffee, Shittyshima?" I heard him messing with his shoes at the front door, taking his time to come in.

"Ah- I'll pass, thanks. You... drink coffee?" His soft footsteps began to walk in my direction.

"Yeah! I love coffee! Every morning Angie and I would relax with a cup of coffee and breakfast..." I stared into my mug, nostalgia replacing my once cheerful attitude.

Homesick...

"Angie... your aunt right?" Kei was suddenly in the entrance of the kitchen, I looked at him and nodded. He leaned against the threshold with his arms crossed, watching me closely. He sighed and checked the time on his phone, which seemed child-sized in his big hands. "Well... I suppose I'm here a little early... I'll have some coffee with you." My heart swelled in my chest, both with surprise of his kindness and happiness. I smiled as I poured another cup of coffee and delivered it to his seat at the kotatsu where I joined him. I was happy to not be alone at home for once. The both of us sat comfortably sipping on our drinks under the warm blanket, music from my phone softly playing from the bathroom where I forgot it.

"Thank you." He mumbled not looking directly at me. "This is good."

"Thanks for joining me. I was unsure if you would like it, I make my coffee sweet."

"It's fine. I don't mind sweet things..." He trailed off.

"Is that so? What a surprise, you don't seem like a sweets person. What another example of something sweet you like?"

He simmered in my question, like he was bugged that I was asking something about him. "I like... strawberry shortcake..."

"Ah! So cuuute~~!"

While I thought my teasing would annoy him, I was instead met with a soft chuckle under his breath, and a smile that refused to look directly at me. He looked into his cup. "Shut up... idiot."

I smiled and stuck my tongue out at him before continuing to finish the drink. A few more silent moments passed before I heard him sniff the air a few times. A slight twinge of color brought life to his face.

"Um... what's that smell?" He inquired. I cocked my eyebrow in confusion and sniffed the air as well. Nothing out of the ordinary.

"Eh, I don't smell anything. I mean, I just had some eggs for breakfast if that's what you're getting at."

"Not that..." he mumbled before lethargically turning his head to face the open door of the bathroom down the hallway. I followed his gaze and realized that the evidence of my shower was still hanging in the air.

"Ah, sorry. I have these fancy shower products that my aunt gave to me. Helps with my skin and hair. Is the smell bothering you? I can go close the door-"

Just as I was about to get to my feet and shut the bathroom door, he interrupted me and waved his hand for me to sit back down. "No, no don't bother. I was... just curious..." I squinted a little in confusion before shrugging and going back to my beverage. When we finished off the mugs I stood and held out my hand to take his empty one, but instead he stood - towering over me and rolling his eyes. "Give me your cup and sit. You walk on your ankle too much." His curt attitude made me a little sour but I complied, secretly enjoying his care. I rested my cheek on my fist as I listened to him clean the mugs in the kitchen sink. He returned and fished medical tape and pre-wrap out of his pocket.