there for you // 44

~Shouyou Hinata~

"Noya... what do you mean 'look after her?'"

My heart raced, I was confused and worried.

"Hm? You seriously haven't heard? The whole team knows already..."

"Knows what?! What's wrong with Toshiko?" I fretted.

"Ssssh! Keep your voice down!" Noya shushed me and leaned around the bus seat, whispering in my ear. "I don't like to spread gossip, but I feel like it's only right for our team to know. So nobody's toes get stepped on. We should try to be considerate of how she feels."

"...How she feels?"

"Friday, Toshiko asked Asahi for his help with a love confession. For Sugawara. One thing led to another and Toshiko overheard him saying he'd never ever be with her. She was so hurt by it that she ran off."

Love confession...?! What!! How did I not know about this?! Why didn't she tell me...?

...Why for Sugawara?

Tanaka popped up over the back of the seat and offered me a look of sympathy. "I'm surprised you didn't know, I mean, she's staying with you after all... didn't she seem upset after school on Friday?"

He's right! Shouldn't I have picked up on that?! "I mean... I couldn't tell! She was acting normally, just... more tired... than usual... ah crap." I smacked myself on the forehead. "I knew it wasn't just tired! I'm usually better at this! My stupid 'nervous' got in the way!"

"You mean crush." Tanaka teased.

"Shut up." I argued. "It's not like that. She's just so pretty it's intimidating. I'm not gonna let some made up crush ruin our friendship!"

"Whatever you say, Shouyou." Noya said. "But seriously, maybe check on her when you get home. Suga has been down in the dumps ever since... I can only imagine how she must feel."
.

.

.
"What do you mean she's not there mom?!" I whispered into the phone, just as the bus was pulling in to the school's parking lot.

"Well, Shouyou, like I said. Saturday evening she said she was feeling better, so after spending the day with Natsu and I she thanked me for letting her stay and headed home. This was only temporary right?"

Saturday night? That means she's been alone for a whole day!

"Yeah- but- it's- aaagh! Okay, I got to go. Bye mom."

Antsy. Restless. I couldn't even sit still as Coach Ukai reflected on our two days at camp. After speeding through clean up, I couldn't help but glance Sugawara's way as I leapt out the door. I didn't wanna be mad at him, but part of me kinda was! He broke Toshiko's heart! I didn't know all the details of what happened between them, but I was on my way to fix my best friend's heart! My bike pedals couldn't go faster even if I tried, I'm sure I broke my personal record getting to her house. But in my focus to get there I didn't even knock on her front door, I just waltzed right in...

But in my defense she's the one who left it unlocked!

She shouted in fear from the sofa in the living room, which I involuntarily copied. And we stared at each other wide-eyed as I stood frozen in the doorway.

".... Is this the part where you rob me?" She said with a blank face. At first I flustered, but then I had a fun idea. I put up my hands with finger guns.

"Yep! This is a robbery."

"Just take my money, man!" She warbled in a mock scared voice, raising her hands in surrender. She was holding back laughter.