Prologue

Edited

As soon as he walked through the door of the foster home, you felt bad for him. There were three other kids in the same foster home as you, the dad, Rob, was an alcoholic and the mom was always out of the house. You have no clue how they were even allowed to foster anyone. The boy walked through the door, looking small and broken, dark packs under his eyes and dirty. The cop and old lady talked to Rob then left. He turned to the small boy.

"Alright kid, I foster a lot of trouble makers and I'm not going to let you be one of them. I have an iron fist in this home, you will listen to what I say and obey me always. Is that clear?"

The child stared at him, black face and dead eyes. Rob's face started to get blotchy. You hide behind the couch, knowing what it meant.

He stepped closer, raising his fist and smacking the boy across the face, knocking him to the ground. "I said, is that clear?" He nodded shakily, still on the ground. Rob looked satisfied and nodded.

"Good." Rob turns towards you and points a finger, hand trembling, "He's sharing a room with you. Show him and stay in there. I don't want to see any of you punks all day!" His voice raised so the other kids could hear him. You nod meekly before walking hesitantly over to the kid, helping him up. You happen to glance at the ground and see a small hand print burned into the floor. You shake your head and rush him upstairs to your room.

Once you were in your room you shut and lock the door before hurrying over to Leo. "Are you okay?" He looks at you with teary eyes and gives a small nod. You sigh and sit cross legged on your bed.

"He doesn't hit us often, usually only when he's drunk. As long as you know where to hide, your safe. He hasn't been able to hit me for a month." You say this with a note of pride in your voice. He simply nods again. You study the Latino boy.

His dark curly hair was matted with what you hoped was mud, he had pointy ears and was very small and thin. You wondered when the last time he ate was. He looked about your age... Seven? Eight?

You look him in the eyes, deciding that from then on, you will be best friends with this boy. You will make him happy. You grin widely at him, tucking your hair behind your ear. You introduce yourself excitedly, holding out a hand like you've seen the adults do. "Pleased to meet you!"

He hesitantly took it. As you shake his hand, you could feel how delicate and breakable he was, there was no way he would last long here without help. You could be punished, but the kid looked like he has had a hard enough time in life.

"I... my name is Leo Valdez." His voice cracked and he looked at the floor, letting go of your hand. You feel a protectiveness rise up in you. You will make this kid happy and make sure he doesn't get hurt. You bounce off your bed, taking out a box from under it and open it. You pulled out some bread and a family sized bag of Doritos, tossing it to him.

He stared at the food for a moment before tearing the bag, shoving chips into his mouth by the handful. You simply sit and watch him eat his first meal in who-knows-how-long. Once he was done with the bag he set it aside and ate the bread a bit slower. You smile at him.

"Want to see something one of the older kids taught me?" He looked suspiciously at you, shoving the rest of the bread in his mouth as if he was afraid you were going to take it.

You take the Doritos bag, ripping it in half. You fold. And fold. And fold, until two Doritos scented sailor hats were sitting in front of you. They weren't perfect, one was a bit big on one side while the other had a piece poking out of it, but Leo looked awestruck.

You take the one that had a piece sticking out of it and put it on Leo's head. As he adjusted it to fit better, you stuck the other one on your head and stand before him, grinning. "I am Black Beard! Captain of this here pirate crew! And you will be my best mate, Red Hand Leo!"

You take out handmade cardboard swords from the box, handing one to him. He smiled slightly. "But Captain, where's our ship?"

You take his hand and pull him onto your bed, standing up. "Its right here mate! The best that has ever sailed the seas!"

He looked thoughtful and nodded. "Alright, what is it called?"

You stop and think. "Um...... Dunno hang on!" You jump down, grabbing a book that had the words "Greek....." then some big word you couldn't read. You flipped through it until you reach a page with a ship on it. "We'll call it... 'The Argo'!" He grinned for the first time you have seen, a mischievous smile. You loved it.

"That sounds good to me! Climb aboard the Argo, captain!" You giggle and take the hand he was offering, climbing on the bed. You both started bouncing, squealing and laughing as you both defeat the dreaded sea monster, Big Ugly Rob!

Suddenly there was a banging on the door. "I thought I told you brats to shut the fuck up!!!" Both of you freeze fearfully as a bottle crashes at the door. Leo's eyes started to tear up again. You grab his hand, climbing down and pulling him under the bed.

Rob banged louder on the door. "Answer me you good for nothing twerps!!!" Leo's hand was getting hot on yours. You squeeze it comfortingly as the door bursts open and you could see Rob's feet as he staggered around, muttering to himself. Then, he turned and went out the door, slamming it shut as You and Leo hold each other close.

* * * * * * * * * *

You helped Leo pack his things quietly, adding food and water plus a small blanket. The moon shone through a window, lighting up your room.

Leo zipped up the backpack and swung it over his back. He took you hand and you both crept down the stairs. Rob was sleeping in the living room, passed out drunk. You freeze as he starts snoring loudly. Leo squeezed your hand and you continued walking. Finally, you stand at the back door, looking at Leo with teary eyes. "Will you come back?"

He gave you a crooked grin, shifting the bag that he was carrying. "Of course I will! When I get old enough to take care of you, I'll come."

You throw your arms around him, crying.

"I'll be waiting."

And just like that, Leo Valdez walked out of your life.