20. Don't Say Sorry

Start from the beginning

Hildr wrinkles her brow. With a patchwork of colorful silk, the man cannot be a local. Eeffae City's relative isolation from the rest of civilization encourages more mundane styles.

"Sure," she says. "Have at it."

Grinning, he slaps her shoulder and climbs onto the platform.

"Ah shit!" says a man. "It's the Juggling Joker."

The jester gives two thumbs up, prompting a chorus of groans. "Everyone!" he says. "Eyes on me!"

As the man pulls wooden cups from a bag, Hildr hides her mouth with her hand and trills.

Meepsin pops his head out from a fold in her robe. "You getting better at my language, but still like a squirrel in anguish."

"Go tell Apple, I can't slip away. He has to fly in now, or I am lost."

She points to the side where Happy stands with his friends. Hairy, scarred, and bristling with weapons, the men contrast the dwarf's relative civility with their scowls and snarls. Other folk keep away, allowing a semi-circle of empty space around the warriors. Eyes on her, none of the men are paying any attention to the Juggling Joker.

"Those brutal-looking guys are the berserker buddies of Happy and Jax." She rubs her chin. "My ex-lover-turned dread walker is watching me. He's sitting behind the others. His eyes are glowing red as embers. Can you feel his focus upon me? It's making the air thick and heavy. He's a barrel of powder ready to blow. Maybe my circus match can relieve some pressure, buy some time, but you must go help Apple hurry."

The brownie shivers. "Fire burning fire. This is very dire. How about we all run and find a place for fun?"

"Ishkur warned me. Happy is sharp for a dwarf and dutiful to his battle brothers, especially to Jax. His men are hunters and trackers as much as fighters. I cannot escape by foot or hoof."

"Fire fleeting. Nature fleeing."

"Yeah." Hildr adjusts the pillow under her robe so the straws stuffed inside poke less. "Unreliable is a stigma of Red, but trust my intimate knowledge. There are deeper layers to my alignment. Happy follows berserker rules that feature honor, pride, and loyalty to his troop. He's had eyes on us since we left the townhouse. I don't think he'll let me go until I endanger my baby trying to heal Jax's broken heart."

"Baby safe makes me glad. People hurt makes me sad."

"Well, to avoid prematurely triggering the fear and inferno of Jax's bottomless rage, I need you and Apple to fly Peggy here by mid-show to pick me up. If spotted, I can claim the griffin is a part of my act."

Meepsin scratches his mossy head. "Then go boom? People doomed?"

Hildr sighs. The brownie has a soft heart. He never has to kill to eat, only to protect, and so has a limited imagination around violence.

She says, "Perhaps some strangers lost, but none of us. Remember where your loyalties lie, fae boy."

"Tribe, queen, family, you. Path to redeem truth." He lifts his pointed chin. "What life has value?"

Hildr's brows press together. "Right. Well, Agastache has her place of power and a circle of druids. She may be able to stifle Jax's wrath without the locals getting hurt. Okay?"

He nods.

"Good. Now, let me play berserkers against druids while you fetch our ride."

Meepsin salutes and drops into an evening shadow. Hildr sighs as he rolls like a tumbleweed away from the setting sun. What a mysterious pairing of ignorance and wisdom.