Chapter 5

Nancy's POV

It was the day after Phillips's infamous comment and everything seemed to be normal. Nobody talked about it and both Benny and June were acting normal. They still talked and joked around like normal. It was as if nothing had happened. I couldn't let it go that easily.

While Benny and June were having a conversation, I pulled the other guys away.
"Do you know if what that Phillips guy said is true?" I asked.
"Do you mean does Benny like June?" Smalls said.
"Yeah," I replied. All the boys exchanged smirks.
"He does like her," Squints said.
While I did trust the boys, I needed to know that this was a concrete fact. I needed to know that Benny said he had feelings for June.
"Did he tell you that?" I asked.
"Yeah, he told us yesterday," Timmy said.
"He told us yesterday," Tommy repeated.
I smiled and nearly jumped for joy. "That's great!"
"It's great?" Smalls was visibly confused and his voice matched that. The rest of the boys were extremely confused as well.
"Yes it's great! June likes him back!" I was almost yelling at this point.
"Did she say that?" Squints asked.
"She doesn't need to, I know my cousin very well and I know she likes him. I still asked her if she did and she said she does!" I answered excitedly.

The boys were silent for a minute. I assumed they were digesting the exciting and exhilarating news. Smalls was clearly thinking about something. He looked at the ground for a second and then enlightened us with his words. "So what do we do now?" That was a little anticlimactic, but he brought up a good point. I was about to speak, but Ham did instead. He also read my mind. "We should try and get them together!"
"That's a great idea," Yeah-Yeah paused, "but how exactly would we do that?"
"Maybe we could get them to confess in a game of truth or dare?" I suggested.
"That could work, but I think we should have another plan," Smalls said.
"We should try that first and then think of something else," Ham recommended. Everyone agreed with him.
"How and when are we going to play truth or dare?" I asked. All we did was play baseball, there wasn't really a chance or reason to play a game like that.
"We could do a campout in the treehouse tonight? That's a good opportunity to play," Bertram proposed the idea and everyone responded well to it. I thought it was a perfect idea.

We all walked over to Benny and June and Bertram offered up the idea of a campout tonight. They both said yes without even thinking. Neither of them suspected anything. That was good, it was great actually.

Everyone, except for me, went back to playing baseball. I wasn't focused on the game at all. The only thing on my mind was tonight. I was excited and nervous. I just wanted the plan to work. I wanted tonight to make some progress on the romance of Benny and June.

Author's Note: Chapter 5!! This chapter is a bit short, but that's okay. It's kind of a transition chapter. It's the start of the main plot. Also, I probably won't write from Nancy's POV that much. This chapter needed to be from her perspective though.
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! 😊❤️
Like always, I proofread but if you find any typos please let me know! 👍