"I don't know." She responded. "Lately, I have been seeing her hanging out with different guys. I'm starting to get really worried about her. I... I just hope she isn't doing anything wrong."

"For all we know, he might be a coursemate or something." I averted my gaze to her direction again and noticed she had stood up and was ready to leave the restaurant.

"It doesn't seem so." Farida shook her head. "but I hope you're right though. I will be back. Let me talk to her before she leaves." Farida excused herself.

I watched as Farida approached Manal. She tried to start a conversation with her, but Manal ignored her and walked away with the guy she was with.

Farida walked back to our table and took her seat.

"She didn't listen?" Even though I already knew the answer to my question, I asked.

"I knew she wouldn't." Farida faked a smile. "Manal can be very stubborn if she wants to be."

"Aren't you too?" I cocked a brow.

Farida chuckled.

It felt nice to see a genuine smile on my baby sister's face. Judging by how pained she was by what was going on between she and her friend, I could tell how much she loved her.

"If you think I'm stubborn, live with Manal for one week, then your surely going to have a change of thought."

"Why would I ever live with her?" I reproached.

Farida shrugged. "Destiny can make it happen."

I didn't understand what she meant by that and I didn't bother to ask as well. She was obviously spurting rubbish. "We seem to have forgotten what brought us here. We better order."

"Alright.

Right after we had eaten, we left the restaurant.

"Are you going back to Abuja today?" Farida asked, when I took the route to her hostel.

"I promised mum I would, so... " My voice trailed. "Yes. Why? Don't you want me to leave just yet?"

"Yes." She admitted. "I wish you could leave tomorrow instead. There are good hotels that you can sleep in here. Please, Jawaad. I really don't want you to leave yet."

"You're doing this, because you know I can't say no to you, right? Alright, I will stay, but I will have to speak to mum first." I said and pulled over right in front of the hostel.

"Okay." She shrugged. "I need to change out of these clothes. I will be back in a jiffy." Farida alighted from the car and passed through the gates.

I alighted from the car as well and reclined against the body. My thought suddenly drifted to Farida's friend. I had caught her stealing glances at me—or at Farida—I didn't really know, but whenever she realized I had caught her, she would pretend to be conversing with the guy she was with. Whatever it was between my sister and her, I just hoped they'd resolve it before it soonest.

The ringtone of my phone snapped out of my trance. I pulled the phone out of my pocket and cringed when I found out it was mum calling.

I'm definitely getting a scolding.

"Assalamualaikum, mum."

"Waalaykum Salam." She responded in a calm voice. "I guess you're already in Zaria."

I was surprised at her reaction. I thought she was going to get mad at me for not calling her, but reverse was the case. "I'm sorry I forgot to call you. Farida and I have been catching up."

"I thought as much, but you should have called. Do you know how worried I was?"

"Of course I do." I smiled. "And that's because you care so much for me. Alhamdulillah, I arrived safely. About three hours ago."

"Alhamdulillah. Your sister, how is she? Is she close by? I want to speak to her."

"We were together few minutes ago, but she went into the hostel to do something. I think she left her phone in my car. When she gets back, I will tell her to call you."

"How is my baby doing? Is she alright?"

"Yes, mum." I responded. "She's totally fine. You have nothing to be worried about. She just misses home a lot. Speaking about that, she doesn't want me to return today, so..." I trailed off, waiting for her response.

"That's alright, but where will you sleep?"

"There are hotels. I will lodge a room in one of them."

"Are...hello? Jawaad? Hello?"

"Network!" I muttered beneath my breath and began to walk along the road, searching for signal. "Mum, can you hear me no—" I was still speaking when someone bumped into me. My grip around the phone loosened and it fell to the ground with a thud.

Before I could react, she had already beaten me to it.

"Hey you! Watch it." She snapped.

What?

Her head was lowered, so I couldn't get a clear view of her face. "Excuse me? You bumped into me." I crouched and picked my now cracked phone.

The girl heaved a sigh and lifted her head. "I can't believe this. You bumped into me and now you're trying to turn the tables on me?"

I ignored the scowl on the girl's face and walked back to my car. I found it pointless to engage in an argument with a kid.

"I'm sorry for the way I reacted earlier."

I lifted my head to the same girl from earlier, standing in front of me. I was surprised that she actually had the decency to apologize. "It's fine." I waved a hand, dismissively. "No one saw that coming."

"Still. I shouldn't have snapped at you the way I did. My day has been terrible and I have been in the library since this morning..." She rambled on.

I furrowed my brows in confusion. "I said it's fine. You don't have to explain."

"Alright." She smiled. "Do you school here?"

"No." My reply was curt, because I knew exactly what she was trying to do.

"Hmm...okay. By the way, I'm Hala." She extended her hand for a shake. "What's your name?"

I gazed at her outstretched hand, then at her, incredulously.

Assalamualaikum/hello!

Jawaad and Hala 🧐 what do you think will happen now? 😅

Whose POV do you want next? Manal or Jawaad's?

Don't forget to vote and comment. Follow my account for updates ❤️

130 votes
Many comments 🤗

deey_jah