5. The Reunion

Emily woke up with a pounding headache and squinted around the room. Paige’s arms were holding her close, making her feel safe. She sighed and snuggled closer.

‘Morning lovely,’ Paige mumbled into her hair.

‘Morning,’ Emily replied.

Paige wiggled to face Emily and kissed her softly, ‘I love you,’ she said.

‘Mmm,’ Emily mumbled as a reply. She was sick of telling Paige she loved her when she was in love with someone else.

‘What do you say if we blow off today and just stay here together?’ Paige enticed.

Unable to face the real world anyway, Emily agreed with a nod.

‘I need coffee but I don’t want to leave you baby,’ Paige whined.

Emily tried not to roll her eyes. ‘Please go make coffee for me,’ she said.

 Paige kissed her again and slowly trudged out into the kitchen, humming under her breath.

Although she was a model girlfriend and lovely person, Emily was quickly getting sick of Paige’s coddling. They’d been together nearly five months and Paige still seemed to be infatuated with Emily, which was driving her mad.

Ali had never been as clingy as Paige, and even if she had, Emily felt like she’d have put up with it for a lifetime.

‘I’ll go and get breakfast,’ Emily called out to Paige.

Though she was anything but hungry, Emily needed a break before Paige came back in for another make out session.

Once outside, the fresh air immediately cleared her aching head. She walked slowly down to the bakery, trying to enjoy the scenery without thinking about Ali or Paige.

‘Two bagels and a loaf of bread please,’ she told the staff member.

Holding the warm paper bag, Emily turned around and began the short trek home, dreading each step forward. As she turned the corner, she spotted a tall blond standing outside her apartment block.

They made eye contact at the same time and the blonds eyes widened.

Emily’s limbs suddenly felt too heavy and she dropped the bakery bag to the dirty concrete.

The girl spoke first, ‘hello Emily.’

Thousands of emotions hit Emily at once. She cleared her throat, ‘hey Alison.’

Ali fought back the tears as she ran to Emily, throwing her arms around her neck.

‘I missed you,’ Ali whispered, ‘so much.’

Emily sank into Ali’s touch, ‘I missed you too.’

A door slammed behind them, put they didn’t pull away.

‘Oh Em…’ Ali was crying softly into her shoulder.

‘What the hell is going on here?’

Ali and Emily pulled apart like they’d been electrocuted.

‘Paige, what a surprise,’ Ali was genuinely shocked. She’d never imagined they would still be together.

‘Alison, why don’t you get away from my girlfriend?’ Paige said bitterly.

‘Paige…’ Emily began.

‘What is she doing here, babe?’ Paige grabbed Emily protectively.

Alison rolled her eyes. She was about to say something bitchy in reply, but Emily’s face stopped her. She’d come to win Em back, and causing a scene with her girlfriend wasn’t going to get Ali anywhere.

‘I just wanted to talk to Em, is that okay with you?’ Ali asked.

‘As if, bitch, it’s always a bigger story than that,’ Paige remarked.

‘Babe, why don’t you go inside,’ Emily told Paige, kissing her softly. ‘I can deal with this.’

Amazingly, Paige agreed and trumped back up the stairs. Ali sniffed triumphantly.

When Paige was out of earshot, Ali spoke again, ‘I’m so sorry about how things turned out with us, Em,’ she let out a tear, ‘I still love you, you know.’

‘What happened to the baby?’ Emily asked.

Ali paused. ‘Actually, I lost it,’ she said quietly.

‘Oh.’

‘Do you think you could ever forgive me? I gave you time because that’s what you needed and I know you’ve got Paige now, but what we had was real. It still is real. Tell me you don’t feel anything and I’ll leave, but I know it’s not true, Emily.’

Emily looked down at her hands, ‘you know I can’t tell you that Ali. But I’m with Paige now and I can’t just leave her the second you come back to me.’

Ali tried to make eye contact, but Emily wouldn’t look at her. She walked closer and took Emily’s hands in her own. Emily flinched but Ali wouldn’t let go.

‘Look at me, Em. Please, I love you.’

Emily looked up. The sincerity in Ali’s eyes was like nothing she’d seen before, ‘wait here. I’ll be back in a minute.’

Emily pulled away and sprinted up the stairs into the building.

‘Okay,’ Ali whispered.

A/N - Hope you guys are enjoying this :) please leave feedback in the comments, it would be much appreciated x