2. The Reveal

What just happened? Emily thought as she wandered into the bedroom. What’s gotten into her?

It wasn’t the first time Ali had left the house unexpectedly, but this time was different. Whatever she was hiding, it seemed Ali wasn’t planning on telling any time soon.

She’ll be back soon. She always comes back. But this time, Emily wasn’t so sure. She didn’t know what to say even if Ali did come back.

Sighing, she walked into the bathroom to shower. Still caught up in her thoughts, Emily didn’t notice the empty pink box sitting on the vanity. Ali hadn’t cleaned up all the evidence.

Emily gasped as she spotted it, sitting neatly in the centre of the table.

No way. It can’t be true. Her knees went weak as she began to hyperventilate.

‘Holy shit, Alison!’ she screamed at the box. ‘How could you do this to me?’

Ali didn’t recognise the apartment she walked back into. The floor was littered with broken glass, torn clothes and photos.

She knows.

The knot in her stomach growing tighter by the second, it took all her strength not to turn around and run away forever. But Ali had to face her mess straight away.

Emily was sitting on the edge of the bed, holding the tiny pink box in her lap. Her face was stony and white.

‘I can explain,’ Ali said weakly.

Emily raised an eyebrow without rearranging the cold look on her face

‘I’m so sorry baby,’ Ali tried again.

‘What the HELL could you possibly say to make this right, Alison,’ Emily screamed.

‘It’s not what it looks like.’

‘So you’re telling me you’re not pregnant and you didn’t cheat on me with a man? Is that it?’

‘I love you,’ Ali whimpered.

‘Get out,’ Emily’s voice was tense, like she was trying not to break.

Ali closed the gap between them and reached out to touch Emily’s hand, ‘I won't keep the baby, it doesn’t matter to me. All I care about is you.’

Emily snatched her hand away, ‘I don’t want to hear another word you have to say. Just get out of my house.’

‘I was lonely,’ Ali started, ‘you left and I had no one by my side. It was a stupid mistake and I would do anything to take it back. Anything to make you forgive me.’

Emily walked towards the front door. ‘I’m going out and by the time I get back you and all your crap had better be gone.’

The door slammed behind her, leaving the walls shaking.

Everything blurred around her as the tears fell. Ali lay on the bed, sobs rippling through her body. The pain of her heart breaking was unbearable. I love you, she whispered over and over.