↠ the poetry tag



THE POETRY TAG ⤵︎
may thirteenth, 2024

This is a tag I created a few years ago! If you decide to do this tag in your own miscellaneous book, please give me credit!

𒐀 WHEN DID YOU START WRITING POETRY? - While I started writing in general at an early age, around nine or ten, I didn't start writing poetry until I was sixteen. I didn't really have any exposure to poetry growing up & never got the opportunity to write poetry in school.

Funny enough, when I started dating my ex-boyfriend, my best friend at the time told him I wrote poetry, & for some reason, when it came down to it, I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't write poetry. I just started writing poetry for him to play into the story, lmao. Best lie I ever turned into a truth. I started writing poems in late 2016 into early 2017 & I never stopped. Those were the years I created all of the poems that can be found in Melancholy & some in Wanderlust.

I've come so far since starting my poetry journey, which is more than I could ever ask for!

𒐀 WHAT INSPIRES YOUR POETRY? - I always try to be open about what inspires my pieces & what pushes me to write. My poetry has always been inspired by my own emotions, my experiences, what I've gone through, & what I've learned throughout the years. I started poetry in my first relationship, which quickly went from loving pieces to heartbreak. I wrote through that entire relationship, everything I felt & all that I went through.

A big push & change that forced my poetry into the curve that makes it what it is now was the breakup I went through. It was a really rough breakup, one that resulted in a lot of lies coming to the surfaces & a lot of promises going broken. Something I usually choose not to share about my breakup is the timeline of it. I got broken up with three days before Christmas & a day after my father's death anniversary, which made it all the more difficult. December has never been an easy month for me, so that took it to an another extreme.

Beyond that, there has been a lot of other experiences I've gone through that push my poetry even further. Childhood trauma, dealing with mental illness, having very few friends, going through a lot of heartache, & dealing with self-esteem issues.

I write my poetry to shed light & speak up on topics that I know others go through. I felt very alone when going through a lot of my hardships & one of the best ways I coped with them was sharing my writing. I love getting to help others & relate to others through my words. I never write my poetry through someone else's perspective. It's always real emotions & experiences inspiring my pieces.

𒐀 DO YOU HAVE A PREFERED STYLE TO WRITE YOUR POETRY IN? - I rarely write anything outside of freestyle or free verse poetry. I'm educated on other styles but feel as though my emotions are best expressed in free verse. I love that there are few rules that come with it & that I can pretty much just spill my guts onto the paper & create pieces that represent me. Sometimes, you'll catch me writing a poem that rhymes, but most of mine are free verse with a good flow.

𒐀 WHEN DO YOU TYPICALLY GET AN IDEA FOR A POEM? - My answer for this has definitely changed over the years. I used to get poetry ideas all the time. Like, alllll the time. The kind of situations where I'd be in the shower or about to go to sleep, or in a store where I couldn't write anything down right away. I wrote a lot of poetry in those days. Now, I typically have to be in a certain mindset to certain a piece. I usually draw from my own emotions in the moment to create stuff now.