12

•••

"Who is this, exactly?"

Kit looked up from applying her red nail polish to see Klaus staring at her, his eyebrows shooting up in interest.

"That's what I've been wondering, too. She's not a part of the family," Allison continued, looked around at everyone, confused, as they stole amused glances.

"So much for 'it's a pleasure seeing everyone'," Five snarked, walking over and pulling Kit up by the arm so he would stand next to him. "Umbrella Academy, I'd like everyone to officially meet Kit."

"Oh, so this is the Kit I've heard so much about," Klaus said airily, sauntering forward to take her hand. "Nice to meet you Miss Kitten."

"Mx, actually," Kit corrected, watching him kiss her knuckles.

"My mistake, Mx Kitten."

"From the way you described her, I thought she'd be an old woman." Allison nodded at her from her seat on the couch next to Vanya (who was sinking back into the couch like she wanted to disappear).

"And I'm supposed to be an old man," Five retorted. He pulled Kit to follow him and sat her next to him on the loveseat. She placed her head on his shoulder gently and caught the eyes of his siblings, each showing a different emotion.

"You're so fucking whipped," Diego whispered in Five's ear, ducking so he would avoid Five's slap.

Kit zoned out through most of the family meeting, not quite feeling like she should be intervening on the Umbrella Academy's affairs. She caught strings of words from time to time- "that's Dad?!" and "how am I always the last one to know about the end of the world?", but her main focus was tracing the callouses on Five's hand and trailing her fingers down each of his, revelling in the way his breath hitched.

Luther suddenly getting up brought her attention back to the group, scooting over to allow Five to chase after him.

"What!?" Kit lurched off the loveseat as Luther pushed him over the stairs, shooting a glare at him as she made her way to alley where she knew he would be at.

"It's Lila," Five whispered to her after she opened the back door and joined him, pointing to her figure as she ran past the alley.

"Well what are you waiting for?" Kit replied, starting forward to run after her. She was pulled back by Five.

"We don't know if it's a trap."

"We're well prepared, Five, and I can take care of myself."

Five nodded and let her arm go, running after.

"I love her shoes," Kit yelled back at him and he scoffed in reply.

They came up on an abandoned factory and Five phased in, grappling with Lila. Kit rolled her eyes when he disappeared, slamming open the door and running up to help Five as he was pushed to the side.

"You never wait for me!" She remarked, pulling him up and following his lead in running after Lila.

"She's good," he replied back.

Five dodged her fist and aimed a punch at her side, causing Lila to stumble back. Kit leisurely stuck her foot out and cause her to topple, but was pulled down when Lila grabbed her ankle. She landed hard on her butt. Lila took the opportunity upon seeing Five distracted to punch him in the gut, leaping away as he tried to kick her.

"This is so much fun!" She remarked, punching Five again as he phased behind her. He phased again and quickly dodged another kick before wrestling her to the ground, getting up and stamping his foot on her windpipe so she would stay put.

"You okay?" He called over to Kit, who was rubbing her backside and grimacing in pain.

"I'm a little out of practice, if you hadn't noticed already," she replied.

Both of them froze when a woman stepped out from behind one of the storage crates.

"Handler?"

"Hello, Five. Kit." She nodded at them.

"Oh fuck," Kit groaned, and promptly sat back down on the floor.

•••