seventeen : park date

Start from the beginning

"No." You shake your head. "He's an old friend & that's it."

"Riiiight." She peers at you unconvinced, making you gulp with guilt. "Well, hate to break it to you, but you're gonna be late to your fourth date with surfing lover boy."

Lydia points to the clock behind you & you turn your head, following her finger.

"Shoot!" You whisper as you run out of the café.

After mouthing an 'i love you' through the window at Lydia, you stride quickly to the meeting place. Glancing every five seconds at your watch, you curse yourself for not being careful enough.

Arriving at the spot, you are met by no one. Slapping your face in your palms, you shake your head, frustrated with your own lack of punctuality.

"Hey!" You year a whisper in your ear, making you jump forward.

Turning around, you see a chuckling Jackson & you slap him on the arm lightly. "I can't believe you did that."

He puts his hands up in defence, "You were the one that was ten minutes late, Y/N."

"Okay, fair enough & i am SO sorry," you start to ramble, "i went thrifting with Lydia &  afterwards we stopped at a café for a snack oh & i forgot to mention there was this pervy man & he was totally into-"

You feel soft lips gently slam into yours, sending your heart racing dramatically. After a few seconds, you both pull away, opening your eyes to be greeted by his.

"Thank you for shutting me up." You hold back a giggle.

"No problem whatsoever," He smirks down at you, "I'll be happy to do it again."

With that, he takes your hand & guides you towards the park path. Fingers intertwined, your arms swing as you walk together, leaning close into each other's sides. You haven't felt so contempt in a very long time & you secretly smile to yourself.

After a while of conversations full of laughter and playful insults thrown between you, Jackson's low voice breaks the comfortable silence & fills you with butterflies.

"I love being out here with you."

"I love it too." You reply silently, your vocal chords failing you.

He stops you both abruptly & pulls you close. Chest to chest, you gaze up at him, air leaving your lungs. Locking eyes with yours, his free hand makes his way to your jaw & trails along it gently.

"Y/N, i love being with you every second we get to spend together," his fingers make their way up to your ear and brush through your hair, "i was wondering if i could call you mine..."

Your mouth slightly falls at his words, words stuck in your throat. Jackson's face seems to drop with confusion & he starts to step away. Before he can, you jump into his arms & wrap your arms around his neck.

"Yes!" Your voice muffled against his neck.

Beaming, he picks you up & spins your around. Laughter escapes your mouth as he puts on you down & you both make your way to the café.

He sits to the right of you on the table & slides his hand on top of yours. Resting your head on your free hand, you look at him from the corner of your eye.

"I'm so happy you didn't declare your love for me." You sigh, not meaning for your thought to come out loud.

Jackson quickly turns his head to you & raises his eyebrows. "Wait what?!"

"Well the last time i was seeing this guy, on our fifth date he said he was in love with me...after two & a half weeks of knowing each other."

"Well, when you know you know." He teases.

"Hey!" You slap his shoulder lightly, "You must have been in a relationship with a borderline weirdo."

Jackson takes back his hand & looks down uncomfortably. "Actually, it was more so far over the line, they couldn't see it."

You lean in closer, intrigued by his words.

"I was catfished by a sixty year old man for three years." He keeps his head down, almost embarrassed, "I fell in love with his words masked over by someone else's face, falling for every excuse he had not to meet in person or FaceTime."

"I'm so sorry, Jackson. You didn't deserve that happening to you."

He places his elbows on the table & puts his head in his hands. "That's not even the worst part."

You furrow your eyebrows in concern & he slowly turns his head to face you.

"I was engaged."