1x04: Aliens of London

Start from the beginning

Sage runs into Rose's apartment, out of breath to see her and her mum Jackie hugging. They pull away and look at her.

"It's not twelve hours, it's twelve months. You've been gone a whole year." Rose looks at Sage then back at her mum. "I'm sorry."

*Time Skip*

"That's what I was doing, I was travelling." Rose says from her spot on the couch. Sage stands behind he couch with her arms crossed.

"When your passport's still in the drawer? It's just one lie after another." Her mum says.

"I meant to phone. I really did. I just forgot."

"What, for a year? You forgot for a year? And I'm left sitting her. I just don't believe you. Why won't you tell me you've been?"

"Actually." Sage says, butting in. "It's my fault. I sort of, er, employed Rose as my companion."

"When you say companion, is this a sexual relationship?" The police officer asked. Rose and Sage scrunch their faces and speak in unison.

"No." The police scribbles something down on his notepad.

"Then what is it? Because you, you waltz in her all charm and smiles, and the next thing I know, she vanishes off the face of the Earth! How old are you, then? Forty? Forty-five? What, did you find her on the internet? And that friend of yours, did he go online and pretend he's a doctor?"

"He is a Doctor." Sage replies. Rose's mum walks up to Sage and looks up at her.

"Well, I'd like him to stitch this!" Jackie goes to slap her but Sage quickly brings up hand up, catching Jackie's mid-air.

"Don't try and slap me again, I'd really appreciate that." Sage whispers, looking Jackie in the eyes. She lets go of Jackie's hand and turns to Rose. She nods before walking out.

*Time Skip*

Sage sits on the roof for the apartment building working on her Sonic Screwdriver, her legs dangling over the side. That's when Rose comes up and sits next to her. The two are silent for a moment before Rose speaks up.

"I can't tell her. I can't even begin. She's never going to forgive me. And I missed a year. Was it good?" Rose asks.

"Middling." Sage replies. Rose rolls her eyes and smiles.

"You're so useless." Sage laughs quietly and looks at Rose.

"Well, if it's this much trouble, are you going to stay here now?"

"I don't know. I can't do that to her again , though."

"I mean, I wouldn't mind her coming along, but the Doctor doesn't do families."

"How are you fine with her coming along? She almost slapped you."

Sage places her sonic back in her pocket and turns to Rose. "I'm going to ask you a question, and be honest. How old do I look to you?"

Rose raises an eyebrow and looks at Sage for a moment. "Twenty-nine?" She says, cause Sage to laugh a little.

"Nine hundred years of time and space, and I've never been called twenty-nine." Rose looks at her for a moment.

"When you say nine hundred years, what does that mean?"

"Ah, that's my age. Same with the Doctor."

"You're nine hundred years old?" Rose asks, startled.

"Yep," Sage replies, popping the 'p'. Rose sighs.

"My mum was right. That's one hell of an age gap. Every conversation with either you or the Doctor just goes mental. There's no one else I can talk to. I've seen all that stuff up there, the size of it and I can't say a word. Aliens and spaceships and things, and I'm the only person on planet Earth who knows they exist."