Chapter 3

‘I thought you had seven brothers?’ I questioned, biting into one of the cookies. They reminded me of home. I glanced up at Logan whom was scrolling through his phone. ‘Logan?’ He glanced up and nodded.

‘I do.’

‘So why have I only met five of them?’

‘Well, Dallas is on camp and Andrew is at Uni.’ Logan informed, me, propping his head on his hand.

‘Oh… how old are they?’ I asked.

‘Well, Dallas is 13 and Andrew is 20.’ I nodded thoughtfully.

‘Do you think they’ll kill me if I forget their names?’ I asked worriedly. He smirked at me.

‘Nah. They’re good guys.’ He said with a definitive nod. I watched as he jumped up from his seat, shoving his phone in his back pocket and shaking his hair out of his face. ‘Now, want to see your room?’ he asked with a grin. I chuckled, nodding my head adamantly. Truthfully, I hadn’t given much thought into my living situations.

As I followed him up the stairs and through numerous corridors and up another set of stairs, not only did I feel puffed, but I also felt totally and utterly lost. Just before we reached the door that was supposedly mine, he reminded me that dinner would be in half an hour.

‘You do realise that I won’t be able to find my way back downstairs?’ I breathed out, quirking an eyebrow. He laughed, ruffling my hair.

‘Don’t worry, I’ll fetch you. You’ll get used to it.’ He said with a shrug as I scowled at him, patting my hair down. Amusement was etched onto his face as he opened the door. As soon as my eyes fell upon the room before me, my jaw rested comfortably on the floor. I gazed around at the magnificent room.

Between the king sized bed, the cream walls with colourful canvas paintings ever here and there, the window that overlooked acres of beautiful land and the huge flat screen television, it was fair to say that I had never seen anything so spectacular.

‘You good?’ Logan asked, both concern and amusement clear on his face. I turned to him, my mouth still somewhat resembling a clown…or a hippopotamus (I’ve heard that their mouths open like one hundred and eighty degrees!). I tried to form words but I ended up looking like a goldfish.

Looking away to avoid further embarrassment, I stared in awe at the room surrounding me. On the opposite end of the room there were two doorways. I scurried over to them, not hesitating to open both and look inside. One door opened up to a beautiful bathroom and the other a huge walk in wardrobe.

I slapped either side of my face, turning back to Logan. ‘This is…amazing.’ I said, shaking my head in disbelief. He laughed.

‘Welcome home Charlotte.’ He said with a grin before leaving my bedroom with a wave over the shoulder. It was then that I did exactly what I had been wanting to for the last ten minutes – jump onto the huge king sized bed at one-hundred miles per hour. I let out an exhilarated laugh as my body rebounded off the bed, just like a feather being carried by the wind.

____

After the initial excitement resided slightly, I got to unpack my valuables. Once I’d put all of my clothes in the expansive wardrobe, I reached into my bag, retrieving the photo frames. My eyes rested upon the photo of Mitchell and I from his eighteenth birthday. It was possibly my favourite photo – one of those photos captured in the moment. I felt a small smile slip onto my face as I remembered the night. My happy smile soon turned sad as I realised that I wasnt in my bedroom in Illinois staring at the photo...but in a totally foreign place on the other side of the country being reminded of what I had been separated from.