How High You Are

Nolan rolls over in bed and fumbles for his ringing phone. He keeps it on Do Not Disturb at night so whoever was calling must have tried several times. The screen is bright and he feels like he's looking into to sun when he tries to read the caller ID. He blinks a few times and squints a little more: Viviana Yelich

A groan escapes his mouth and slides his finger over anyway, "Hey V."

Viv giggles, "damn remind me to record your voice when you wake up that got me feeling a typa way."

Nolan sighs, "are you drunk?"

"Yes, and I know its like 2 a.m. on a Wednesday, but I need a ride..." Viv explains.

Nolan picks up his watch and sure enough its 2:03 a.m., "Technically it's Thursday, but why can't CJ or someone drive you?"

"CJ went home with a softball player, Cy won't answer and if you're actually a friend you'd come get me," Viv says and its almost seems like a threat.

"Call an Uber I have lift in three hours," Nolan grumbles once he hears he was option number three.

Viv sighs, "I can't call an Uber because my rating is so low..."

"Call a Lyft," Nolan suggests.

"Bro, I have practice at 6 a.m. too you'll be fine just please come pick me up," Viv begs.

Nolan groans, "fuck ok, where are you."

"Kappa Kappa Christmas party..." Viv says.

Nolan rubs his temple with one hand as he sits up in bed, "V, I don't know where the KKG party house is because they don't invite anyone from UCLA."

"Shoot I forgot about that I'll drop a pin," Viv offers.

Nolan hums over the phone as he slips on joggers, sneakers and a hat for his hair, "I'll be there soon."

"Thank you," Viv chimes and hands up.

Nolan fumbles around his dorm room in the dark for his Jeep keys and his wallet. He heads out the door and gets Viv's location while he's walking to his car. Thankfully she was close in Santa Monica. He looks at the location again, she was on the beach. Los Angeles was warm during the winter, but not warm enough to have a beach party in the start of December.

He doesn't even have to text Viv that he's here because she's standing on the road waiting for him. Viv slips into his Jeep in nothing but a sports bra and spandex. She shivers while Nolan looks at her and tries not to laugh.

"I don't want to know, but also what the fuck?" Nolan asks.

"Your roommate convinced me to jump off the pier," Viv says.

"Adonis?" Nolan asks. Viv nods. "I thought UCLA students can't get invited to KKG Christmas."

"They can't but they can sneak in," Viv says and then turns in her seat to rummage through Nolan's cluttered backseat. Somehow she unearths a UCLA sweater that hangs to her mid-thighs. She pulls the hood over her head and her knees into the sweater to warm up.

"Yeah, sure please wear my clothes anything else I can get you?" Nolan asks as he pulls away from the beach.

Viv nods, "Roscoe's chicken and waffles."

"Oh no, we aren't doing this I am just driving you home," Nolan says and shakes his head.

"Yeah, I can't go home," Viv admits.