Chapter 20: Where Everything Came To Light

Comenzar desde el principio

Rakshata: "Alright then, that's all I needed to hear for now. I'll be preparing the Gefjun Disturber if you need me."

Little did she know how soon we would be in need of them. I knew that at Ashford where they were holding a party for Suzaku, Lloyd would go there to pick him up and while he casually spilled the beans about his engagement with Milly, he also accidentally let slip the plans for Euphy to meet with someone important by boat. The full truth was that that person was Prince Schneizel, Lloyd's boss, and one of the greatest pains I would have to deal with at some point. After Kallen was called and returned, I had everyone board the submarine and began to fill them in on the plan of action.

With the core members gathered in the briefing room, I informed them that this far out the strength of the Britannian military would be limited, so we could focus on capturing the Lancelot and Suzaku Kururugi. When asked what we would do after we captured him, I told them to leave it to me. After explaining the main two phases of the plan, I dismissed them, but had Kallen stay behind for a moment. I only had to ask once if she tried to kill Suzaku, when she confessed she apologized for not listening to me. I placed a hand on her shoulder and told her that killing isn't always the answer and for her to never resort to it as a first option unless in battle. Leaving without her, I went to check on Rakshata where conveniently Diethard was nearby so I approached him, confronting him about his actions.

Zero: "Diethard, what did I say about your plan? Here I find out Kallen was playing the would-be killer."

Diethard: "I told her to dig up what she could on Kururugi, maybe I implied a little more than that."

Zero: "Maybe you should have listened to me when I didn't imply and clearly stated no to the assassination."

Diethard: "You want us to be the hammer of justice right? We can't have people thinking of us as cold-blooded killers I know, but we can hide the truth using the media. You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty. Am I wrong?"

Zero: "Yes, actually." My immediate answer caught him off guard. "If you kill someone on the battlefield, you aren't a murderer, you're a soldier. Just as if you cheat innocent people you're a crook, but if you cheat the crooked, you're a Robinhood. Had I wanted it, I could have killed Suzaku back when we rescued Tohdoh, so didn't it ever occur to you that maybe I have something planned for him?"

Diethard: "I don't see a point in keeping him alive, but if you're saying he has some use alive then fine. I only hope that you know what you're doing."

Zero: "I do, so don't interfere with military matters again." I walked down to speak with Rakshata. "How is it?"

Rakshata: "Everything seems to be working. The stealth effect we're getting as a byproduct of the Gefjun Disturber is helping, but I'm sure you're already aware of that."

Zero: "Yes, now it's time for us to move."

Phase one, getting the chase started. First Squad were to attack the military base shortly after the ship transporting Euphy arrived at Shikine Island. Tohdoh would lead them and Zero Squad while myself and another unit would remain some distance away. Once Lancelot appears on the battlefield, my unit would fire upon him, getting his attention. Keeping it, I would make sure he saw me standing on top of my Knightmare as Tohdoh issued the order for the units to fall back. The Lancelot chased after my Frame as soon as I began to move, ignoring the fact that the other Knightmares disappeared.

Phase two, releasing the trap. The Lancelot was quick and closed the gap between us just as I jumped into a sandpit. He followed, unaware of the trap lying beneath him now. Taking out one of his Maser Vibration Swords and pointing it at me, it was now time for him to realize his mistake. Rakshata activated the Gefjun Disturber, shutting down both of our Knightmares. The other Knightmares from before surrounded the sandpit outside the effects of the disturbers as I opened my hatch and called out to Suzaku.