Chapter 19: Night

Dawning the mask once more, I began making my way back to the hideout with D.D. and C.C. by my side. I was told by them that after dealing with Villetta, D.D. had realized that I was seriously injured and had C.C. call for a retreat while she brought me to the hospital. It was a serious blow to my head, one that required an operation to save my life. Unable to tell or sense the time, I was in and out of awareness for a few days. Thankfully, not long enough to have to deal with Art Week.

In that time, the Black Knights became uneased by the news that I was injured and needed time to recover. I asked C.C. if she enjoyed her present, she only responded by holding the plush doll closer. D.D. poked me, clearly wanting a present too. As we went inside the hideout, it was easy to see the surprised look on everyone's face, though Ohgi was more worried than anything. He immediately got up from doing his work and came over to welcome us back.

Zero: "I heard you helped keep everything together while I was recovering, you have my thanks, Ohgi."

Ohgi: "There's no need for that, I'm just glad you're back and alright. There is some news I wanted to go over with you, if you had the time."

Zero: "I always do, what is it?"

Ohgi: "Well, it was a message from Kyoto, they'll be sending over Rakshata in the coming days to help with the Knightmares."

Zero: "I'm familiar with her work, she can be rather protective of her Knightmares so make sure the Guren back in good condition and stays that way."

Ohgi: "We will... also, about what happened at the port, in her place, I want to make it clear that Kallen feels responsible for what happened."

Zero: "There's nothing for her to feel responsible for, while I can understand it, it was a mistake on my part, not hers."

Ohgi: "And about the JLF, I wanted to ask but wasn't sure there was a right time."

Zero: "You're always free to ask questions, don't hold back."

Ohgi: "Then, why do you think they committed suicide? They knew back up would come, so wouldn't they have fought until we arrived?"

Zero: "I've had time to think about that, my best guess is with the sakuradite. Losing it was a greater blow to Britannian than anything else. The Portmans lost in the blast were an additional blow, but not as valuable."

Ohgi: "So if they couldn't beat them, they could still make it a loss for the Britannians."

Zero: "There is also the Chinese Federation to think about, which would Katase choose, risk becoming the puppet of another country or be used as an example with his death?"

Ohgi: "I think I'm starting to get it now. Thank you for answering them."

Zero: "As I said, you're free to ask questions. Now, about that white Knightmare, I'll be working on a plan to deal with it, tell Kallen to speak with me the next time she's around."

Ohgi: "Will do. And again, I'm glad you're back." I went upstairs with the other two and sat at my desk.

Zero: "It's good to be back."

C.C.: "So, what are you going to do about that Knightmare?"

Zero: "At the moment, nothing. We'll need to wait for Rakshata to start the real work. D.D., are we still getting the updates from Nina? What about the other thing?"

D.D.: "Yes, we're receiving updates and that matter has been dealt with."

C.C.: "What matter would that be?" I took off the mask and worked on the computer.