#7 Jean finds Dalton's secret

Start from the beginning

  While driving he says, "I can hear you being judgemental," even though I haven't said a single word to him yet. Of course, I'm judgemental of his action, this time. Although I may have made sarcastic remarks about his playboy persona, I never thought he was wrong to be himself.

  But Matilda is a mated woman, and James is a really nice guy. He doesn't deserve this.

  "Are you serious about her?" I ask him.

  "What? No. it just happened alright? We just have some fun now and then."

  "Ugh. Don't say fun, I want to punch you in the face. I can't believe you're a homewrecker."

  "I'm not a homewrecker. It's not like she's going to run away with me. I told you it's just a fling."

  "Even so, I'm not happy about it. But hey, it's your life. It's not my place to judge."

  He looks like he wants to say something in return, but doesn't.

I pull back up the backpack sliding off of my shoulder and walk towards my locker. I stop as soon as I see Kara and Roger in front of it. Kara has her back to the door of my locker and Roger is leaned in, kissing her. Yesterday evening, and also today morning, I'd been thinking about what Dalton is doing and how wrong he is for that. But who am I really to judge that when I myself want someone who is in love with someone else?

  Doesn't that make me hypocritical?

  Feeling my bad mood worsen, instead of avoiding those two, I charge straight at them. They are there because Kara's locker is next to mine. I push them both away from my locker and open the locker door.

  "Somebody is in a bad mood," Kara comments.

  "More like in a mad mood," I say.

  "Why?" she asks.

  "Ask Dalton," I say to her.

  "Why? What did he do?"

  "Ask him!" I say and shove pretty much any book I can grab from my locker into my bag, not caring if I've that class today or not. Then I pause and turn to Roger. "You don't know, do you?" I ask him.

  "Know what?" he says.

  "About Dalton."

  "What about Dalton?" he says. He looks confused so I doubt he knows, but then again you can't really judge a book by its cover.

"What is it with you two?" Kara asks Dalton and me during lunch.

  "Nothing," Dalton says. She looks at me.

  "I told you to ask him, didn't I? It's not my place to reveal others' dirty secrets," I say.

  "Come on, just tell me already. Dalton, what is it? Why don't you want to tell us?"

  "Drop it, Kara," he says. "I don't want to talk about it."

  "Why not?"

  "Maybe he's ashamed of it?" I say. "But then maybe not."

  "Will you give it a break?!" Dalton shouts at me.

I freeze at his response. Why is he reacting like I'm the bad person? He gets up and leaves the table. I stand up to chase after him but Roger stops. "Don't. I'll go," he says and leaves.

I sigh and look at Kara. Maybe I should just tell her. I'm sure Dalton wouldn't mind, but then again I've never seen him react like this either, so who knows how he'll take it if he finds I told Kara about him and Matilda?