6: Getting a Scared Bunny to Trust You

Start from the beginning

"It's okay, I can do it myself." Lexie's words were only to ease the discomfort of the maid but they made her tremble harder.

"I'm useless, aren't I?" Marielle mumbled incoherently and Lexie widened her eyes. "S-Sorry, Miss Hero."

"Don't apologize, I just didn't want to burden you."

Marielle's face was filled with shock. "B-But I'm your m-maid, I'm s-supposed to do e-everything for y-you—"

"Yes, that's how it is in this world, but not how I lived in my old world." Her words were like a splash of cold water on Marielle. Marielle remembered that the woman in front of her was from a different world! And by her words, she didn't have any maids. A sliver of ease filled Marielle's heart and she felt relieved. Lexie saw that Marielle's tenseness lessened but she was still anxious.

Seeing that Marielle was adamant about being helpful, Lexie didn't stop her anymore and accepted her assistance. She finished a short while later and as she was standing to get out of the tub, her arm swung and a few drops of water fell on Marielle. Lexie opened her mouth to apologize but she saw the horror and panic in Marielle's eyes.

In a matter of seconds, Lexie saw a blur of blue surrounding Marielle. Lexie blinked a few times and her vision of sight fell on the sight before her.

Marielle sat on the floor, but in the place of her legs...was a blue tail!?

"You're a..." Lexie couldn't believe it. This was a real mermaid in front of her eyes. She widened her eyes in confusion and astonishment.

'I guess if angels and demons exist, then mermaids exist too.'

She opened her mouth to speak but saw Marielle shivering and raising her short arms defensively.

"Are you alright?" What was with this extreme reaction? Was it taboo to expose another form in this world?

One of Marielle's closed eyes opened to peek and she saw that there was no disgust nor any negative emotions on the face in front of her. This was a new reaction that she had never experienced from anyone that saw her aquatic form in the Kingdom of Pheoles.

"I-I am fine. I w-will tell th-them to ch-change to a new maid im-immediately." Marielle reassured but saw the Hero even more bewildered.

"Why? Is it customary to change maids after a short period of assistance here?" Marielle watched her brown eyes blink with false realization. "Oh! Is it because I saw your mermaid form? Is it a really private thing here? Sorry, I didn't know. I won't do it again."

A brief silence followed her words and Lexie was going to ask what next until Marielle softly murmured, "...Y-You're not disgusted?"

"About what?" She was so clueless about where this conversation was leading to.

"A-About my aquatic f-form. It doesn't d-disgust you that I'm a h-human but I can also turn to another ra-race?"

"Isn't that normal here?" When she saw the little maid's head dejectedly shake, she quickly added, "It's pretty cool though."

Seeing her confusion, Lexie explained, "I mean that it's amazing. You've got two ways of showing yourself! And a mermaid to boot, that's...magical." Lexie couldn't use any other to describe it. Everything about this was magical, but to see her so downcast about it, she didn't know why.

'Are people with other forms discriminated here?'

"Y-You're the only p-person who thinks it's 'amazing' and if anyone else h-heard you, they would im-immediately think you're out of your m-mind." This was the longest Marielle had spoken at once and she spoke it with a small smile, staring directly at her.

"Why is that?"

'You'd think that these people would realize the advantage of two abilities and not hate against it.'

"H-Hybrids... are not welcome." Marielle shuddered as her gaze glazed with an indiscernible memory.

Lexie knew her fair share of unpleasant reminiscence and quickly changed the topic. "Can you get me some clothes, please?"

Marielle nodded and ten minutes later, she was dressed in a long white dress that dragged behind her slightly and angel sleeves that were nearly the same length of her dress. A golden belt enclasped her waist and her medium brown hair was braided behind her and white slippers. Using the magical mirror in the room, Lexie could see her entire look and she nodded gratefully.

She looked much better than her bloodied hospital gown.

However, she oddly felt that the color white didn't suit her. Even in her old world, she always opted for lighter colors. But now, something pricked her subconscious about wearing the color so blatantly. She ignored the feeling and turned to Marielle.

"Earlier..." Lexie didn't finish her sentence but Marielle understood what she was referencing.

"It's b-because... you looked like you were on the v-verge of crying."

'On the verge of crying?'

Yes, this was true but she didn't think she was so obvious. And the silliest thing was the little maid in front of her feared her but still tried to comfort her.

A brilliant smile appeared on Lexie's beautiful face, causing the maid to redden subconsciously.

"Thank you." It was like the maid's innocent words were a new revelation for the Hero.

'Crying? Never again in this life.'

The heavens have granted her a new world and new life... From now on, the weak Lexie Liang was dead.

This was the biggest 'fuck you' she would offer to Richard Li.