Yan Yixue

+••

The heavy pounding in her chest followed her hurried footsteps and her ragged breathing, Yan Yixue glanced back at the enemies chasing her while short bursts of lighting lit the muddy road beneath her. The rain pelted her bloodied skin in places where her clothes were torn by the blades of her assailants.

She gripped the vial containing the realm shattering elixir tightly as her other fist was clenched at the dark figures who were following her.

"Yan Yixue!" a girl with a lotus-like appearance lightly spoke, her eyes full of gentleness but her words containing daggers, "Give up the Elixir of Immortality that you have refined and Master will let you return to the sect with honor!"

"Su Meilan, tell Master that this disciple will be unfilial and never return again! If returning means to be betrayed once again, then I, Yan Yixue, would rather cultivate alone for eternity!"

Su Meilan sighed as she regarded her stepsister with a look of animosity; although those around her interpreted this sigh as a sign of sisterly care. Yan Yixue scoffed at their blind worship and backed away until one of her feet touched the air... she realized that she was at her end.

She bitterly reminisced about her life.

Long ago, she was a medical doctor in the twenty-first century with godlike skills, practically able to bring anyone from the clutches of death. But betrayed and murdered in that life, she found herself opening her eyes in the body of a young and bullied Yan Yixue. Through the extraneous effort, she built her cultivation to the very best and soared like a true phoenix. Yet once again, she was experiencing the cruel reality of betrayal.

And he, the one that she had opened her heart to, was not here in her moment of demise. For such a powerful lord... Yan Yixue felt her heart being pricked by a thousand needles coated with poison.

His love was sure fickle and heartless.

She shouldn't have expected anything in the first place.

Now, with this vial in her hand that held the key to ascending to immortality... Who was truly on her side?

'No one,'  Yan Yixue mused humorlessly.

She glanced at the people who were confronting her and closed her eyes.

May her third life be more fortunate than this one.

And she dived down the high cliff.

•••

Surprisingly, she was very intact when she opened her eyes hours later.

"Sect Brother!" She cried out in relief. Maybe in this lifetime, she didn't need to lose all of her faith in those dearest to her.

He smiled gently as he helped her sit up, her wounds making her every moment extremely painful. "Xue'er, please don't be impatient and take this medicine that I've prepared for you. Get better and we can leave together."

Yan Yixue shook her head with venomous eyes. "I can't, Ming'ge. I need to avenge myself."

Ming Wuzhan gripped her hands tightly in his. "Xue'er, let's just leave. Losing your life for something like this is not worth it. Together, let's use the Elixir of Immortality and live a long, married life."

Yan Yixue froze. "Ming'ge, w-what do you mean?"

"Xue'er, let's get married. I've held affection for you since you entered the sect." His dark eyes were filled with a fervent gaze. They weren't full of love but obsession that frightened Yan Yixue. Their obsession seemed particularly targeted towards the godly elixir that he mentioned earlier.

Her gentle Ming'ge was capable of holding such a gaze like this?

"Ming'ge... My heart, I've long given it to someone else. Nor can I walk away from the injustice that I've suffered through." She tried to stand up but was abruptly pushed back.

Ming Wuzhan hovered above her and held her down despite her struggling. He bent down to kiss her but she raised her knee and kneed him with as much energy as she could conjure. He groaned in pain and she used that moment of hesitation to get up and run away. She needed to leave this place right now!

Her entire body ached with pain but she paid it no heed and continued to stagger away from the cave.

"Yan Yixue!" Ming Wuzhan yelled out harshly. "That godly elixir... We will use it together."

'So that's what it was.'

She had assumed earlier, but this confirmed it. Once again, Yan Yixue felt uncomfortable at the overwhelming feeling of greed that the people around her were so open about displaying. They could at least try to hide it, what a distasteful bunch.

At that moment, something in Yan Yixue stirred, and her godly beast that slept inside of her spatial ring finally awoke. He had been recuperating and silent for nearly a month now, so he hadn't been able to assist her earlier when she was cornered on the cliff.

<Master, what's going on?> Little Red asked her with a sleepy tone when he noticed that she was rushing.

'Your Master is about to die, that's what's going on!'

Little Red fluttered his wings ferociously and his anger spilled at who was threatening his beloved Master. His size grew until he was an enormous bird of fire. Ming Wuzhan, who had caught up, paused and looked startled at the beast that was going berserk before his eyes.

'Little Red, calm down.'

Even Yan Yixue began to notice that her spiritual beast was growing more angry and mindless as the seconds went by, but he didn't pay any attention to her. He flapped his wings and dashed towards Ming Wuzhan who dodged by a sliver of the way. The phoenix had squawked and shot fire everywhere as he targeted the person who tried to harm his master.

His fire burned the trees surrounding them and nearly scorched Yan Yixue who had to dodge like Ming Wuzhan. The sect brother had completely forgotten his mission of getting both Yan Yixue and the elixir and was fighting to keep himself from burning to death.

But eventually, Little Red was able to hit his target and Ming Wuzhan fainted, his skin bloody and bruised from the burns with smoke coming out of them. Little Red humphed arrogantly and began to calm down when he had succeeded in avenging his master, but couldn't see his master anywhere.

"Master? Master, where are you?" The giant bird flapped its wings like a chick looking for its mother hen. "Master, I've used a lot of power so I cannot communicate with you in your head until I go back to your spatial ring."

"I'm here!" Yan Yixue called out, but her words couldn't be heard because the bird was too big to hear her buzzing below.

Little Red dejectedly started to sob when he couldn't spot his master anywhere, slowly descending his bottom and sitting down. Yan Yixue suddenly had a very bad premonition as she noticed the fiery butt above her head.

"Little Red! Little Red!" She cried out pitifully. "Don't sit, don't sit!" But her pleas were ignored and not heard as Little Red sat on her small form.

The last thought that Yan Yixue had was: this was the most humiliating method of death that fate had given her.

And then she got squished and burned to death by the fiery ass of her own beast.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻